Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 8
Official Magento UK Translation (en_GB)

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

This is the official UK Translation thread (en_GB). Please post all comments here.

To get started, please visit this blog post for an overview.

UPDATE: Please refer to a blog post with an update on the translation process.

File Attachments
en_GB.zip  (File Size: 33KB - Downloads: 2175)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

Thanks for this!  Hopefully some other people will show up here soon to help out (being from Australia, I may even get some of it wrong!).  At least it’s not as much work as a translation to another language.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Ross - we can add an Australian locale if you wish. Let us know.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MarkH

Total Posts:  1
Newcastle Upon Tyne (United Kingdom)

Can someone bring me up to speed on the UK locales and developments in general? Been away working my rear-end off for a few weeks and missed a lot of the developments on the Magento Portal.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

I’m just doing a search and replace at the moment on words that need changing.  (most of it seems OK)

e.g.
Catalog -> Catalogue
Cart -> Basket
Fetched -> Retrieved

If anyone comes across words they think need changing, let me know.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bluechives

Total Posts:  5
Beaconsfield, UK

Can someone let me know the current state of the UK translation as I did not see it on either the svn or recent update?

Magento Community
Magento Community

bluechives

Beaconsfield, UK

Having not heard anything I went ahead and did a simple spell check on the files, attached are the updated files[for those that want them].  I have also replaced domain.com with example.com [as it is the reserved domain for examples see RFC 2606 section 3 for more info].

Obvious changes like color, catalog etc have been made however I feel that some discussion is required before changing other things as they are more subjective for instance should it be ‘wishlist’ or ‘wish list’ (I’d go for ‘wish list’).

like to hear others comments on this.

File Attachments
en_GB[v0.1].zip  (File Size: 32KB - Downloads: 590)

Magento Community
Magento Community

bluechives

Beaconsfield, UK

Here is an updated version of the files uploaded earlier.

Let me know if someone comes across anything that needs changing/improving.

File Attachments
en_GB[v0.2].zip  (File Size: 34KB - Downloads: 831)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

@bluechives - thanks for that, I didn’t realise you had uploaded.  I’ll have a look at it.

Do you know if there is much in the way of changes between versions?

Also, I found this link that might be helpful:
British v American Spelling & Punctuation Differences

Magento Community
Magento Community

bluechives

Beaconsfield, UK

The First files (v0.1) is mainly just spelling corrections (colour etc).  The second version (0.2) includes more subjective changes to reflect differences in how things are phrased over here. From memory the second version is pretty much complete and ready to be included. However, it would be good to get some feedback on it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

GavinPearce

Total Posts:  7
Windsor, UK

Hi all grin

I’ve just been appointed the new moderator for UK translations as of today, so just thought I’d introduce myself a little.

I’m a (mainly PHP based) Web Developer, working for a nice medium sized agency in Bracknell called TBS, and besides from delving into code, have a great appetite for sailing, kayaking, and all sports water based. I was a crewmember with the RNLI for a while, and have worked with the Coastguard and various blue light organisations. Not really sure how that is at all relevant, but you never know.  wink

Part of our core business here at TBS is translating a clients global website from American English into UK English, so I feel I have the staff, skills and resources that will be able to help on the job. That said, looking through what’s been done it’s fairly complete, so I do feel a little like I may be stealing the thunder for someone else’s hard graft, but thank you very much for all your hard effort so far indeed!

Give me a day to go over what’s been done already, check if any additions or changes need to be made, then I’ll get straight about seeing if we can get this UK translation up, up and away!

(Ross - on a completely unrelated note [bad me], I love your photograph of The Old Marvel Chairlift!)

Magento Community
Magento Community

GavinPearce

Windsor, UK

Just to keep everyone nicely updated, had a brief look through the file supplied by bluechives (thanks John), and all looks OK to me.

I’m going to upload this once so UK doesn’t show 100%, straight after I’ve fixed a couple of errors in the CSV file formatting, but then I’ll get myself and a few work colleagues to fine comb over it during the next week.

It’s now 22:15 and I’m exhausted, so I’ll get I uploaded tomorrow. grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

boarderblokey

Hi Gavin,

Nice to have you aboard (literally looking at your photo).

I’m looking forward to seeing how Magento develops and when things have settled down I’m hoping to move across to it.

I’ll be watching the progress with interest.

Cheers

Nick

Magento Community
Magento Community

prd

Total Posts:  12
Plymouth, UK

Hi everyone

When I choose English (United States) locale in Configuration / General admin settings I can send and received emails, but when choosing English (United Kingdom) locale, even when using the UK translation downloaded from the thread above, email doesn’t work. Any ideas of why?

Thanks for your help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

jammyjc

Total Posts:  11

prd - 04 April 2008 07:37 AM

Hi everyone

When I choose English (United States) locale in Configuration / General admin settings I can send and received emails, but when choosing English (United Kingdom) locale, even when using the UK translation downloaded from the thread above, email doesn’t work. Any ideas of why?

Thanks for your help!

In your FTP program goto:
App > Locale > en_US

and rename the folder to en_GB.

Magento Community
Magento Community

prd

Total Posts:  12
Plymouth, UK

Hi jammyjc - thanks for your help. I had two folders in Locale one for en_US and another en_GB. I have renamed the en_US one as you recommended and renamed the other as en_GB_archive, and the email now works using English (United Kingdom) locale. Thank you!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 8