Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I create product add-ons? 

Dustin

Total Posts:  160
Columbus, OH

I have been trying to figure out the best way to do product add-ons all day and can’t come up with a good way. Hopefully someone can give some tips.

If I am selling a bed and the customer clicks on it and goes into the product page. They can purchase the bed straight up, but with the bed there are also the options to add-on a dresser, a mirror, a nightstand, a chest.

These add-on pieces I do not want to show up in a category or be able to find, as they can only be purchased with that specific bed and not individually.

There seem to be a lot of options as related products, configurable product, group product. What is the best way to accomplish this?

I am thinking related products but when I do this it shows these individual pieces in the catalog and searches.

Thanks for any help or recommendations.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Dustin

Columbus, OH

I also have this same issue with dining tables. A customer can order the dining table and add on chairs. If I do this as a grouped product customers can order chairs without the dining table and that can’t happen.

Any one have any suggestions at all?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

You want to set them up as grouped products.

Like this: http://demo.magentocommerce.com/catalog/product/view/id/54/s/magento-red-furniture-set/category/10/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dustin

Columbus, OH

sherrie - 20 May 2008 05:34 AM

You want to set them up as grouped products.

Like this: http://demo.magentocommerce.com/catalog/product/view/id/54/s/magento-red-furniture-set/category/10/

There is a problem with that setup though. On that page you can order just the ottoman or just the chair or just the couch.

What if the only way to buy the ottoman is if you buy the couch also?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community