Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Dimensional Shipping w/ Boxing Calculations

Dirkus

Total Posts:  4

I would like to see if Magento can be extended to handle a complex shipping system.  I have a product mix that best be described as “ping pong balls and bowling balls”. Some products are very light, others are not. If an order is placed for a case of ping pong balls, the actual weight might be 3 or 4 lbs, but the dimensions of the box move the shipment into dimensional weight. UPS has a dimensional rate of 1 lb per 194 cubic inches of space. So, for UPS, a 12x12x12 inch box will be billed for 9 lbs in ship weight even if it weighs 6 lbs.

My current system assigns a physical or ship weight as well as a space required in cubic inches. During the shipping calculation, totals are computed for actual weights and dimensional weights.  Which ever weight is higher is used to obtain a shipping quote from the carriers.

Could Magento be extended to include space requirements or dimensions so that dimensional weight could be calculated? Is there going to be a way to perform this boxing calculation and hand off the rate lookup to existing modules?

I would appreciate any thoughts on how to approach this.

Thanks!

Dirk

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ericscott

Total Posts:  57

did you ever happen to find an answer to this? i am looking for a similar solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community

redstage

Total Posts:  173
Hoboken, NJ

Hey guys,

If you’re still looking for a solution that will use dimensional weight calculations, you can checkout our new extensions that add this functionality to the shipping integrations.

I hope these help you out!

http://store.redstage.com/magento-extensions/shipping/dimensional-weight-extensions.html

All the best,

Anthony
http://store.redstage.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

Check out Webshopapps Dimensional Shipping module

Magento Community