Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 3
Kanemarie.com on Magento 1.0 (Custom Design / Showoff)

chaddro

Total Posts:  25

nickL,

What are the specs of your server? Dedicated, VPS, Shared?

I have only been able to test on shared servers (bluehost). It “runs” but performance is a concern for me.  Are you running an opcode cashe like APC or eAccelerator? I’m not able to install these with bluehost (actually they are too stubborn to help).

So I’ve been looking at VPS solutions…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

Total Posts:  188

@Vinos y Cosas
Can you check the permissions on your media directory? Maybe the image permissions are incorrect?  Send me a link if possible I’ll take a look.
Do you see the images on the backend however?

@Chadderuski
Kanemarie is on a dedicated server, Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 80Gb hd. Its pretty efficient.  I am running eAccelerator however, which I believe may help a bit.

I would highly recommend for a production environment to install or a VPS solution like your looking into or a dedicated machine. Media temples servers are great, Ive used them with a few other projects. But I haven’t used shared with Magento, for future clients I’ll most likely require them to install on at LEAST at VPS since then it’ll give the ability to get in an configure the box.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vinos y Cosas

Total Posts:  36
Madrid (Spain)

Hi again nickL:
1.- where can I chack the permissions?
2.- Yes, I can see the images in the backend
I will like to send you a link, but I’m trying the magento in my pc, I don’t know if you can get into my pc
Wait for your information.
Thanks again

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

@Vinos y Cosas

If you can see the images in the backend, your permissions should be correct. Make sure permissions are set to 0755 or 0777 on your “media” directory, where the images are stored.  As far as them not showing on the frontend… im a bit confused since they show within the backend. It could possibly have something to do with your local installation, I haven’t installed magento locally.  You may want to check one of the other forums for a similar situation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vinos y Cosas

Madrid (Spain)

Hi nickL:
Excue for my ignorance, can you explain to me where to see de permissions???
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

@Vinos

Local? Right click the file/folder and view properties. It should show permissions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vinos y Cosas

Madrid (Spain)

nickL:
Another think, I almost put images in the categories and this ones I see theme in the frontend, dont you think is a bit strang?
I just right click in the folder properties, but dont see where are the permitions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

@Vinos
Sorry for the slow reply, got a bit busy this weekend. That is a bit strange. Can you lookup your products in your sql db? and see that the path to the images is correct?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vinos y Cosas

Madrid (Spain)

Hi nickL:
how can I see the images in the sql db?
As I say I’m not a progrmer

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

@Vinos
How did you setup your sql db? Try to use phpmyadmin (http://www.phpmyadmin.net) to help you manage your DB. 

Honestly, I’d recommend trying your installation on a shared server,.... maybe theres some issues with the way your local machine is setup.

Magento Community
Magento Community

itay

Total Posts:  30
Israel

Great site!!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

DDMAN

Total Posts:  179

NickL,

great site! Loved it. I’m trying to convince our company to let me move our site to magento. How much time and energy was involved in getting your store to where it is today? Are you happy with the usability and functions in Magento (I’m assuming you are since you’re a big fan)

Mike

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

@mike
Thanks for the comment. Glad you like the site, its a work in progress like I mentioned but I’m definitely happy with it so far.  I had the opportunity to play with Magento since its first beta preview last August so I’ve spent a good amount of time learning its ins and outs. However… it doesn’t take that long too get the hang of it. There’s quite a bit of documentation now that’ll help along the way and the community forums are a godsend.

As far as functionality… there’s nothing comparable. I came over from oscommerce as my previous e-commerce solution and Magento completely blows that out of the water… just the fact that the functionality itself is completely separate from the “skin” gives tremendous flexibility. You can really change the look and feel anyway you like and not lose any of the core features. It’s amazing… definitely going to be something I use with clients for the long haul… helps out the portfolio too! =)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tiff

Total Posts:  107
Upstate NY

Nick,

Did you know that at 1680 resolution, (in both IE and Firefox,) your sale price isn’t within the product box on the catalog list page? It goes below - and sometimes doesn’t show at all (covered by item below it.)

Screenshot attached.

Otherwise, WOW!  What a beautiful site!

Image Attachments
necklaces.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

@Tiff
Wow your right.. I missed that. I’ll adjust the css. Thanks for the heads up!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 3