Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magentos biggest problem

Daniel_79

Total Posts:  23

The community seems pretty dead..
sure, lots of people post their problems every day, but there are hardly anyone helping out with solutions :(

I did post some simple questions about two weeks ago regarding what files I could find the tax calculations for the cart and checkout.. not a soul answers.. and I seen alot more of these subjects where there is a question that should be rather simple to answer but it stays unanswered for 3 weeks or more.
:(

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ad2joe

Total Posts:  60

Yep, that’s what I noticed as well, and it’s pretty sad. With some docs it would’ve been easier.
However, I’m hoping the effort that is not pointed to the forums is put in optimizing Magento and finishing the docs - this brings the hope back smile

Thanks, Joe.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brandondrew

Total Posts:  64

Daniel_79 - 06 May 2008 04:12 AM

The community seems pretty dead..
sure, lots of people post their problems every day, but there are hardly anyone helping out with solutions :(

I did post some simple questions about two weeks ago regarding what files I could find the tax calculations for the cart and checkout.. not a soul answers.. and I seen alot more of these subjects where there is a question that should be rather simple to answer but it stays unanswered for 3 weeks or more.
:(

I’m not exactly sure what your question is, but taxes are handled in admin panel-->Sales-->Tax-->…

My store is in LA, so I had to create a spreadsheet listing all LA zip codes, and 8.25% (or whatever it was) in the Rate1 column, and 0% in all the other rate columns.  I also added a line with * as the zip (to catch all zips that didn’t match any I listed for LA) with 7.25% (or whatever it was) in the Rate1 column and 0 in all other rate columns.  I imported this into the tax rates.  (If you export one first, you’ll have a good example to start with.  I used CSV and it worked fine for me.  I’ve heard of problems importing other things using the XL format, so I didn’t bother with that.)

You then have to define customer types: mostly “Retail Customer” will be fine.  And you have to define rules, for instance that a Retail Customer pays Rate 1.  If you have some type of non-taxed customer, set up a rule that they pay Rate 2.  If you need some other rate, add a Rate3 and create a customer type who gets that rate. 

This should get you started.

Sorry if that didn’t address your question… it just occurred to me you probably meant which PHP file, not where’s the data file… in which case I have no idea.  That would take some serious digging, and you might have to do that yourself and post back here where you found it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gabrielk

Total Posts:  83

I imagine a lot of the lack of response is because a lot of people do not yet readily know the answers to those questions, and because the people asking them could often take the same effort to research their answer as another community member would do.  In the case of “Where are tax calculations handled?”—if I can take the time to look it up, so can the person asking, except I don’t need to know so I won’t look it up. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

medic

Total Posts:  173
Sydney

I was about to post the same thread.

It’s getting pretty hard to find some answers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  889
London, UK

I agree - I was really hoping that Magento staff would be more active in these forums - especially considering that Magento is so new, and the community is so young.
Lisa

Magento Community
Magento Community

snarkys

Total Posts:  124

haha i was just thinking how these forums are drastically busier than the creloaded forums : )

Seriously the mods can’t answer every question or they would have a team of very expensive programmers dedicated to answering the same questions over and over. This would make sense if ot was for a product you purchased but not for something that was developed at great expense and then given to you free of charge

open source means the community dedicates their own time and resources to helping each other. magneto just came out of beta like a month ago, i think it is absolutely astounding that the forums here are already this busy and helpful.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community