Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Smart Attributes & Configurable Products

velocis

Total Posts:  8

ok, so here is my issue.. my store is going to have 1000s of automotive products. Most of these products are specific to a make, model and year of vehicle.

As I understand it, I will need attributes for these. One attribute for Vehicle Make, with options to include Dodge, Ford, etc.

But beyond this I am not sure how to proceed, because the options that show up for Vehicle Model need to be based on whichever option was selected for make (IE, if someone chooses Dodge they then see RAM, Avengener, Charger, Dakota etc)

Has anyone done this with their own setup yet?

And do I REALLY have to have a one simple product for every single version of the product? For a generic car part, there is going to be over a hundred versions to match all the make/model/year combinations.  That is going to be an insane amount of work to get even just one configurable product added to the site?!!?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

frankeee

Total Posts:  2
san diego

I am having a similiar problem, I have products that have three dropdown options with over 10 options each, that would mean I would have to make over 1000 simple products, even with the duplicate feature this would take forever.

Is their a way to create dropdown that just send a “string” that attaches itself to the order like a “notes” feature? So it doesnt affect the inventory?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community