Magento Forum

Magento Speed AFTER import

ryanb

Total Posts:  91

Has anyone noticed that Magento may run slowly for several hours after importing products? I have not verified this is when I have speed issues, but I feel like after I do an import of a larger number of products (say 1000+) Magento runs slowly for the next several hours.

Is it possible that Magento is still processing data or running processes after the import has completed? Perhaps it is building a database for the search function?

I am running Magento on a dedicated server with 2 gigs of ram.

If you have NOT noticed this and are reading this post, please reply and let me know.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ryanb

I just wanted to update this post --- we made some of the changes recommended in the blog post regarding performance. The difference has been AMAZING --- I recommend making those changes—our website is more than twice as fast now.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alanin

Total Posts:  67
Nordhausen, Germany

can you give us some numbers like seconds for severals actions?

we have major speed issues - load of categorie takes bout 3 secs (this bout 2.5 secs to long for a onlineshop), bout 5 to 6 secs for detailview of a product (bout 4 to 5 secs to long) and adding stuff to cart up to 25secs and 15secs per step in the onepage checkout - thats way too long…

we have hardware which should be able to handle that stuff and have the cache loaded into ram and some stuff like that, optimized mysql server - and the page loads take way too much time…

makes me frustraded while developing and i think our customers while shopping…

Magento Community
Magento Community

gabrielk

Total Posts:  83

If it’s verifiably and consistently running slower for a period of time immediately following a product import, my guess would be this is due to Magento & your database (depending on your database settings) not yet having cached all the new products and/or selection queries, and the speed increases as more get cached.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ryanb

We a little better load times:

Catagories 2 seconds
3-6 seconds to sort using layered navigaiton

This is running on a dedicated server—Dual Xeon (2 x 2.4 Ghz), 2 GB RAM

I know this is not by any means wonderful, but believe it or not—it was much worse. By making the changes in the blog we have gone from a site I considered to be unusable to usable. As our database has grown (we now have 15,000 products) I have noticed some more slow down. I have made all of the changes suggested in the blog post on performance except the using “a memory-based filesystem for Magento’s var directory”

alanin - 06 May 2008 09:14 PM

can you give us some numbers like seconds for severals actions?

we have major speed issues - load of categorie takes bout 3 secs (this bout 2.5 secs to long for a onlineshop), bout 5 to 6 secs for detailview of a product (bout 4 to 5 secs to long) and adding stuff to cart up to 25secs and 15secs per step in the onepage checkout - thats way too long…

we have hardware which should be able to handle that stuff and have the cache loaded into ram and some stuff like that, optimized mysql server - and the page loads take way too much time…

makes me frustraded while developing and i think our customers while shopping…

Magento Community
Magento Community

jan212
Guru

Total Posts:  407

Noticed this also in Beta 1.1. After importing products my apache benchmarks are showing significant performance decreases.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SunSparc

Total Posts:  4
Utah

ryanb - 06 May 2008 10:24 AM

I just wanted to update this post --- we made some of the changes recommended in the blog post regarding performance. The difference has been AMAZING --- I recommend making those changes—our website is more than twice as fast now.

Do you remember what blog post you read?  I would like to see what the recommended changes are.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

R22B

Total Posts:  76

SunSparc - 04 September 2008 05:33 AM

ryanb - 06 May 2008 10:24 AM

Do you remember what blog post you read?  I would like to see what the recommended changes are.

Thanks

http://inchoo.net/ecommerce/magento/boost-the-speed-of-your-magento/

Magento Community
Magento Community

mffowler

Total Posts:  31

Wow, that about doubled my speed in both admin/front ends… thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community