This probably should go to the bug report however I wanted to attached screen shots to better explain it.
I think the Change Billing Address and Change Shipping Address all go to the same form, because whether I change either of the address, the result in the Address Book is the same.
There are ‘Default Billing Address’ and ‘Default Shipping Address’, from the code of ‘customer/address/edit.phtml’ file, it looks to me there should have checkbox option available
<?php if($this->isDefaultShipping()): ?>
<strong><?php echo $this->__('Default Shipping Address') ?></strong>
<?php elseif($this->canSetAsDefaultShipping()): ?>
<input type="checkbox" id="primary_shipping" name="default_shipping" value="1" />
<label for="primary_shipping"><?php echo $this->__('Use as my default shipping address') ?></label>
<?php else: ?>
<input type="hidden" name="default_shipping" value="1" />
<?php endif; ?>
First I thought it must be me messing up the code by changing class or id name and div tags, but a visit to your demo store I am seeing the same thing . Please see attached screen shoots:
1) I had the addres: 555 peace lane, alameda, ca 94501
2) I changed the shipping address to 888 freedom ave, san francisco, ca 94107.
3) when I go back to address book, both the shipping and address are showing the #2.
22 minutes later…
I did a checkout test from your demo store, added a new address (#1) for shipping, went back to my account, the billing/shipping address info are still showing #2
1 hour+ many minutes later…
Sorry, got some more finding, and now I am not sure if it’s a bug, but it’s absolutely confusing (if a customer doesn’t do multi-address shipping).
So I was testing my shop, did a ‘ceate a new address’ with multi-address shipping, I see it pulled the ‘edit.phtml’ from the customer/address; now I can see the checkboxes for “Use as my default billing address” (Default Billing Address) and “Use as my default shipping address” (Default Shipping Address). I entered a new address, checked the “Use as my default shipping address”, went back to My Account, and I can see the new address is reflected in the ‘default shipping address’, in addition, I can also see my old shipping address is placed in the ‘Additional Address Entries’; on top of that, a ‘Add new Address’ button has surfaced, I clicked it, now I can see the checkboxes option for “Use as my default billing address” and “Use as my default shipping address”
Now, it all make sense, still, somewhere, it’s missing a piece of something, because,
1) A customer who has not done a multi-address shipping and added a new address for billing or shipping will never ever figure this out because whether she clicks on ‘Manage Addresses’ or ‘Edit Address’ in ‘PRIMARY BILLING ADDRESS’ or ‘PRIMARY SHIPPING ADDRESS’ in the Account Dashboard or ‘Address Book’ (clicking on ‘Manage Addresses’ brings her to ‘Address Book’) , she will never see the ‘use as my default’ checkboxes option.
2) If this is how it’s supposed to work, shouldn’t there an indication in the Address Book somewhere?
3) Should it allows customer who has not done multi-address shipping to be able to have separate address for Shipping and Billing?