Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Using Sphinx for searching

desiboyz

Total Posts:  4

Hello,

Is anyone using Sphinx with MySql for faster searching? I have over 150K items and the search takes over a minute. I have applied and tested some of the mysql configuration changes recommended in the forums.

Thanks,
Ken

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

that’s an interesting post .... would like to explore this myself ...would like to hear if anyone else has tried this already.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alexweb

Total Posts:  79
Gomel, Belarus

I’m going to create s sphinx search module during the next 1-2 months.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

I have not. I am going the solr route though. It is based on lucene and from everything I have read is better than sphinx especially for dynamic content.

Magento Community
Magento Community

thE_iNviNciblE

Total Posts:  220
Oldenburg

in the new 1.2.0 i think magento is using the

http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.search.lucene.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

Michael
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

thE_iNviNciblE - 14 January 2009 12:09 AM

in the new 1.2.0 i think magento is using the http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.search.lucene.html

No, new search in 1.2.0 uses regular MySQL full-text search.

Magento Community
Magento Community

thE_iNviNciblE

Total Posts:  220
Oldenburg

Michael - 14 January 2009 02:02 AM

thE_iNviNciblE - 14 January 2009 12:09 AM
in the new 1.2.0 i think magento is using the http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.search.lucene.html

No, new search in 1.2.0 uses regular MySQL full-text search.

oh why magento doesn’t use the awsome search engine from zend hmmm ?

to difficult to implement… ??

Magento Community
Magento Community

Michael
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

thE_iNviNciblE - 14 January 2009 01:29 PM

No, it’s not difficult. Most Magento users just don’t really need its features.

Magento Community
Magento Community

PremierWeb

Total Posts:  16

We’ve released a Sphinx extension for our clients and it is available here:  Sphinx for Magento

Magento Community
Magento Community

aristomat

Total Posts:  12

Hi Michael

I’m don’t agree that most people don’t need it.  The sql searches are very poor quality not being able to handle misspells etc. and with the best will the in the world the synonyms take way too much maintenance to make them realistic.  I had to replace the sql search with Zend Lucene, the results are now much more reliable and the user experience is that much better.  Obviously there are many different options out there but Zend Lucene is available out of the box which is why we went for it, however the Magento “modular system” makes implementation a true headache!

Magento Community
Magento Community

steveTA

Total Posts:  6

has anybody implemented sphinx in magento successfully? i tried out the recommended demo (frostbooks.com) and every search i make returns “Your search returns no results”.

any other experiences with sphinx?

Magento Community
Magento Community

craigm

Total Posts:  8

Michael - 15 January 2009 02:31 AM

thE_iNviNciblE - 14 January 2009 01:29 PM

Just digging this up because I am weighing up whether or not to get my developers to write a custom search module and although I see that search improvements are planned for the CE according to the user voice forum, I can’t see much info on this.

Anyway, my reason for picking this response to comment on is that I think it is worthy of further challenge:

Now I might be horribly wrong here, and if so, Michael please accept my most grovelling apologies; but I think that you might be a developer rather than a merchant.

Because I can’t imagine that anyone who makes their living from trying to get people to buy stuff from an ecommerce site (rather than “just” from producing code for it) could come up with such a statement. 

Improving your site search is arguably one of the single most important things you can do to your ecommerce site to increase your revenue, because customers that search and find, are customers that purchase:

http://www.doublejumpmedia.com/blog/2009/04/how-important-is-on-site-search/
http://econsultancy.com/blog/3044-site-search-used-by-5-of-visitors-study

It is not overdoing to suggest that there is a better than evens chance that every time a visitor searches for a product (that you sell) and doesn’t find it, you have just lost an actual sale (not a theoretical one, an actual one - involving real money!)

Yes, somewhere between 92-95% (to take the two examples above) of visitors ignore your search functionality, but that is a meaningless statistic.  You might have 99 visitors to your site today whose real intention is to spend $0, and then I turn up with a real intention to spend $1000. 

A smart merchant does everything in his power to make me turn my intention into action, and one of the proven ways to do this is by making sure that when I search for what I am looking for, I find it.  Converting the small minority of genuine prospects is why smart merchants do things like spend days agonising over the exact wording of their shopping cart page, or the specific order of fields on their checkout page. 

Yes, most people won’t notice tiny changes in the cadence of your final buy message, or won’t even see what your checkout page looks like. That doesn’t matter, because these people are just a distraction. What counts is what happens to those with their credit card sitting on their desk beside them.

And it doesn’t matter what size of merchant you are, even if you only have a few dozen visitors each day and just handful of actual customers; making sure that you focus on the customers is just as important.  And like I say, site search is one of the proven ways to do this.

The current magento search is horrid and is a complete fail on two main areas:

1. It is not relevent enough (out of the box)
2. It doesn’t offer the ability to interpret what users are searching for (via synonyms and misspells, etc)*

And it doesn’t matter that improving this will be ignored by most site visitors, because it will benefit the most valuable ones, and that is what really matters.

As Orwell might have said: “all visitors are equal, but some are more equal than others… so make sure you develop your site for them”.

* Okay, so it does via the frankly hillarious search term feature.  Lets say you get a reasonable number of visitors = 2000 uniques per day.  Of which 8% search for something: 160. Of which 25% misspell or don’t second guess the way you’ve named your products: 40.  Of which 1/3 would actually have bought from you:  14 (RU).  Of which 50% don’t bother trying to find the product another way (because you’ve got, say, 30 direct competitors): 7 missed sales every day.

The current magento solution for those 7 missed sales, is to manually interpret their search AFTER THEY HAVE GONE!  When there are proven (free and easy-ish to implement) technologies to do it when they are STILL ON YOUR SITE.

If you average order value is $30, then that is (over the next 5 years that you have Magento as your solution):  30 * 7 * 365 (*1.3 Xmas multiplier) * 5 = $498,225.

Of course if you are dilligent, you’ll have manually interpreted every single failed search and perhaps reduced the failure rate by 50%, meaning that you’ve only lost a quarter of a million dollars.  (And had to manually interpret 36,500 searches!)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Margieb

Total Posts:  7

Has anyone gotten Solr to work with Magento? We have a development site with 1.8 installed. We have Solr installed and all configurations look fine. We have set the Magento parameters in admin to use Solr. But it is still not working. There are no calls from the Magento client.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jgrech

Total Posts:  2

Same here.. I am waiting for a reponse

thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

magochdotcom

Total Posts:  6

>>We have set the Magento parameters in admin to use Solr. But it is still not working. There are no calls from the Magento client.

Do you have answer now?

Thanks for your help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1839

Until you start getting emails from the customers who’ve dealt with stock, unmodified Magento Search.

I’ve learned a few new and interesting insults from them.

The most repeatable in polite society are where it can be best reinstalled on the website owner’s anatomy.

One of the first fixes is to chop “s” off all search words and then synonym all plural searches that end in “ies”, etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2