Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Vertical/Left Menu Contents

GreatSageCorban

Total Posts:  35

Hello everyone. I’m in the midst of trying to setup Magento to fit my purposes. Right now I’m running into “What is managed by the admin panel, and what is managed by hard coding” confusion. Basically I want to edit the contents of the left side vertical menu. (as it seems to be stock categories that do not actually exist on my website.)

The contents of this menu is:

Homepage
Electronics
Apparel
Cellphones
Cameras
Computers

While the actual categories I’ve created as a test are:

Professional Computer Services
Residential Services
Business Services

(The horizontal menu at the top does reflect this correctly.)

I’m also wondering if there’s some sort of block control/placement control. (Example: You have the option to have X number of columns with a left or right bar. How do you control the contents of these bars/columns? I’m assuming it’s all hard code, however my initial glance into the contents of “custom content” doesn’t seem to link to a vertical navigation bar… yet it’s on my site regardless.)

I’ve done several searches, so please excuse me if this is covered easily and I’ve over looked the documentation.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Gyniolatry

Total Posts:  132
Perth.au

Welcome !!
Tip #1 Have a good play with the admin before you spend hours re-creating a standard feature…
Tip #2 Don’t just search the site- there are some great tutorials and blogs out there.
Tip #3 Disable Cache in admin>>system cache management while developing.
Tip #4 open system>>configuration>>developer, change current config. scope to Main Website and
set template path and block name hints to yes.
Tip #5 Have a good supply of ibuprofen on hand.

You can create Custom CMS pages and Blocks via admin>>CMS, or
Pages are created when you create categories or products.
admin>> Manage categories / Manage products to alter these pages.

Each page has a custom design tab.
Choose from the default page layouts or any custom page layout from drop down menu.

ie Open app\design\frontend\*int\*theme\layout and look at page.xml & catalog.xml for layout structure.
The Layout templates are found app\design\frontend\*int\*theme\template\page\ eg 2columns-left.phtml

BLOCKS
you can use xml in custom, category and product pages to add and remove blocks (custom design tab)

<reference name="left">
<
block type="cms/block" name="CustomBlock" before="-"><action method="setBlockId"><block_id>CustomBlock</block_id></action></block>
</
reference>

<
reference name="footer">
<
action method="unsetChild"><alias>topLinks</alias></action>
</
reference>
Call blocks from content page
{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="13" template="catalog/product/list.phtml"}}

Even create them in PHP

$block $this->getLayout()->createBlock('core/template');
$block->setData( array('template' => 'catalogsearch/form.mini.phtml') );
echo 
$block->toHtml();

Remove Block
The Template hint shows you which template ( .phtml) file the block uses.
Remove reference to it from the layout page.

By default the main horizontal menu uses your category names as per /template/catalog/navigation/top.phtml

create your own template ( eg vert nav)
Reference it in layout file /design/frontend/*default/*theme/layout/catalog.xml

<reference name="left"><block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.leftnav" after="currency" template="catalog/navigation/left.phtml"/>

Create a vertical menu (vert_nav.phtml)of categories and add it to *theme/template/catalog/navigation/vert_nav.phtml
FullCode

Magento Community
Magento Community

GreatSageCorban

Thanks for the tip. smile Currently I’m noticing some weirdness with product image uploads. Looks like I have to upload one at a time, and save after each. If I do not do this, and I upload 2 or more product images, and hit save, I get stuck in an infinite “Please wait...” I’m curious if there are any fixes or settings I can change to alleviate this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gyniolatry

Perth.au

Admin->System->Import/Export->Profiles-> export all products

Retrieve from var/exports and open with OO calc or MS excel ect. (in OO, when opening ensure category id col is text not standard or 3,100 will =3100)

look for columns ‘ thumbnail’, ‘small_image’, ‘image’ (should be around col’s x,y,z)

place image name in appropriate column including fwd slash /image.jpg save file (csv)

upload images to media/import

Admin->System->Import/Export->Profiles-> import all products

then refresh system and browser caches .

ps.
Save some time .....
Batch File Renamer 2.51
Gimp- David’s Batch Processor

Magento Community
Magento Community

GreatSageCorban

Actually, it’s more of for when I’m adding just 1-2 additional product images. When I’m in…

Catalog>Manage Products> Edit existing product> Images

Sometimes when I hit “save” after the upload the “Please wait...” locks up. (and sometimes it can even shoot me back to the admin login when I refresh.) Is there a fix to this specific problem? (or is importing the data through Import/Export the only way to avoid it.)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gyniolatry

Perth.au

Not sure about this one… have only experienced it a couple of times.  Maybe Disable all caches before adding images may help..."dunno"

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

@GreatSageCorban

Image upload failure, quite common. The way I handle this situation is to enter all other product information for a new product, and then do a “save and edit”

Do the image upload and assignment as the last thing you do to your product and do it AFTER SAVING EVERYTHING ELSE. You will be less frustrated this way.

And as a happening during adding images to an already existing product, it’s a Flash Uploader thing, doesn’t have anything to do with caches or caching, but more to do with the quality of your internet connection and that the Flash Uploader doesn’t seem to have the robustness to maintain a connection. It dies about every 30 uploads here and we’re on an internal DEV server on 100mbit Ethernet so there’s your answer.  grrr

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community