Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Products, Attributes, etc…

The.Imagineer

Total Posts:  15

Hello Magento Comunity,

I seem to need some help, or very strong sedatives..  I am trying to set up a list of options in a drop down menu format with parent / child functionality.

The web site is for car parts and all searches have to be vehicle driven:
Manufacturer
Model
Engine
Year

once the client has Identified this the products categories can be chosen, for example brake pads.  then the client will only se this selection of products for his/her car.

I just can’t seem to do this .  can anyone shed a little light on the way to do this in the product, attribute section. please.

Thanks so much.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

HireHeather

Total Posts:  7
Fort Worth, Texas

If I’m understanding you correctly, you first need to set up your attributes. Catalog > Attributes > Manage Attributes. You’ll create the attribute, for say, Manufacturer, by adding a new attribute. You’ll name it something easy for you to remember (i.e., manufacturer_vehicle) and fill out the rest of the form as needed. I’d assume you would want to make the manufacturer a dropdown (if it’s only one item it could apply to) or a multiple select (if it could apply to more than one type of vehicle) input area so you don’t have mistakes based on people not knowing how to properly spell foreign manufacturer names. Just input all the manufacturers for whom they provide products (i.e., Honda, Audi, Ford). Don’t forget to actually name the attribute under “Manage Label/Options” on the left.

You’ll want to ensure that your new attribute falls into the attribute set you’ll be using for the products. You can manage these under Manage Attribute Sets from the same menu.

It is only then that you’ll want to create your products. Your attribute should appear as a field when you create your product if you selected to use the right attribute set just after you created the new product. 

You can find more about attributes and attribute sets in the knowledge base if you want more detailed info.

Also, don’t forget that your end users may not know how to spell foreign manufacturer names either and you’ll want to add common mispellings to the key words (meta information) for the individual product to ensure it remains fully searchable.

I hope that answered your question. All the info is really in the knowledge base, but I thought you might just be unsure where to start.

Heather
HireHeather

Magento Community
Magento Community

The.Imagineer

Hello Heather,

Thank you for the reply it is very helpful, however, I am uploading 8000+ products and many of these products fit a variety of vehicles for example an oil filter for an Audi A4 will fit a VW Golf and so on.  The problem I have is forcing the choice for the customer.  If a customer chooses a product say an oil filter they need to make a choice of manufacturer via a drop down, for example they choose audi, this needs to force them to a second drop down MODEL, A3, A4, A5, A6, A8, Q5, Q7 and so on and not give them the options of other models in other manufacturers range , next they need to choose an engine type 1.8, 1.8tdi, 1.9d etc. then the actual year of manufacture at this point only the oil filters for this model should be visible for purchase.  I am trying at present to arange this in the category view as a secondary search solution.  for a great example of this have a look at http://www.eurocarparts.com they have this sorted!!

Once again thank you very much for your help.

Kind regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gyniolatry

Total Posts:  132
Perth.au

http://www.eurocarparts.com/styles/ecp/js/mam.js
Is using ajax to create the select menus.
There a a few of these menus around which you could place on a page and send the result to Magento.

There are also a few navigation extensions available that may suit your needs

OR

Using Magento, I would look into Mage_Catalog_Block_Layer_State

You could customise your catalog/layer/ view, state and filter .phtmls
Using results to build your list - something like…

<?php foreach ($_filters as $_filter): ?>
<option value=" <?php echo $_filter->getHtml() ?>"><?php echo $this->__($_filter->getName()) ?></option>
<?php endforeach; ?>

Magento Community
Magento Community

The.Imagineer

Hi G,
Thanks for your reply.
Surely a parent child/child/child/ category with forced options is available via magento or am I totally stupid?  I have faith… ha ha.  I just have stewed brain at the moment and I can’t work it out.  Category, product, attribute, attribute sets and a myriad of other functionality is a mind boggling experience. I use various other shopping sites that are so much faster and dare I say easier to use.  However I feel that maybe magento can indeed offer more.

My programmer may have to write it all in ajax and that may be the solution, but surely the supposedly market leading providers of e commerce shopping carts should realise that there is a need for this choice selection.

You say that there are a few extensions available did you mean for magento?

Many thanks once again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gyniolatry

Total Posts:  132
Perth.au

Quite a few Magento Navigation extensions out there.
Not sure which would suit your needs however it would be worth the search.
I’m sure they will all be well documented.....

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community