Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Discovery of ‘NEW’ product feature! I am in ecstasy!!! 

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

I have seen the ‘new.phtml’ file in the Catalog/Product, and have always thought it’s used somewhere already; lately I have done quite a bit of customization on Catalog section, and everytime I also dutifully open up the new.phtml to take a look when a new block of code is added/modified somewhere in the list.html, it just never occur to me it’s a Pear Princess waiting for me to discovery - naughty Magento team, why you never say it when we were crying out loud for this feature so many times!

Just now I was thinking OK now I have the Featured Products placed in the homepage working beautifully (big thanks to Dan_w), how do I extend it to add a New product feature, then for a deity holiness second, my light bulb turned on with a ‘new.phtml’ - my first reaction was rush out to see if there is a ‘new.php’ in the code/core/Mage/Catalog/Block/Proudct. Indeed there she is! She was there, eagerly waiting for me to kiss her, turns her into princess in the last 8 months (is this long?!).

She then gave me this magic spell, tell me to place it in the CMS homepage:
{{block type="catalog/product_new" name="home.catalog.product.new" alias="product_new" template="catalog/product/new.phtml"}}

“wait...”, before I rush out, she said I must tell her Magento subject to remember the ‘Set Product as New from Date’ and ‘Set Product as New to Date’.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Ahyay, my new found princess refuses to be seen when I put her in Configurable. 
Is this how it should be?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Yoke Lee

Total Posts:  80
China - Singapore

oh oh i just don’t catch the point… wake up please…
could you explain in a more comprehensible way ?

oh, i am interested if u can tell me links to make featured products?
and maybe u know something about block type definition…

Magento Community
Magento Community

aquiss

Total Posts:  54
United Kingdom

Yoke Lee - 11 May 2008 09:30 PM

wake up please…

Not sure if this is your english that’s not coming over well, but Yoke, your coming over quite rude in many of your posts.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Shamans

Total Posts:  26

Yoke Lee - 11 May 2008 09:30 PM

oh oh i just don’t catch the point… wake up please…
could you explain in a more comprehensible way ?

oh, i am interested if u can tell me links to make featured products?
and maybe u know something about block type definition…

You type this into one of your pages (such as your home page) in the CMS tab in the back-end.

{{block type="catalog/product_new" name="home.catalog.product.new" alias="product_new" template="catalog/product/new.phtml"}}

You need atleast one item to have set “Set product as New From Date” for it to show up though.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Serial Killa

Total Posts:  76
Malaysia

Malaysian in the block,

Magento Community
Magento Community

Paramz

Total Posts:  39