Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
redirect “child” (simple) products to “parent” (configurable) products

afmaury

Total Posts:  100

I am trying to find a way to redirect the url for a simple product to go to the corresponding configurable product. For example if I have a link to a small blue t-shirt, it would go to the main t-shirt page where the attributes are available to select.

Right now, all simple products that are part of configurable products are set to visibility = nowhere so the url just produces a 404 error. Instead, I’d like the url to redirect to the configurable product.

I need this because we publish feeds for resellers that have all items listed (not just products with a visibility of search and/or catalog). The resellers need to see if a particular item is in stock via the feed.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Jakub@WebCatch

Total Posts:  215
Nottingham, UK

Enable the simple product pages and put some additional code in your product page (template/catalog/product/view.phtml). In this code you will need to check if the displayed product is a simple product and if so, redirect to the corresponding configurable product’s page.

The code should look something like this:

//get parent (configurable) ids
$parentId $_product->loadParentProductIds()->getData('parent_product_ids');
if(isset(
parentId[0])){//if this product has a parent

$parent Mage::getModel('catalog/product')->load($parentId[0]);
  echo 
"<script>window. location='".$parent->getProductUrl()."';</script>"
}

Unfortunately you have to do a javascript redirect, because the php output is already started when view.phtml is interpreted, so changing the header from this file is not possible.

Note: I had to put the space between window. and location, because it was censored by the forum.

Magento Community
Magento Community

afmaury

Thanks for your help with this. I haven’t had a chance to try it out yet, but it looks good. When you said to enable the simple products, did you mean to make their visibility search?

If that is what you meant, there is a workaround for that as well in another thread. That allows you to keep the product visibility set to nowhere, but still have the url work.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jakub@WebCatch

Nottingham, UK

Yeah, by enable I meant that their urls need to be accessible. They don’t have to, and really shouldn’t be visible anywhere on your site. Thanks for this very useful link! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

afmaury

No problem. Hopefully this will help others out as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

afmaury

Ok, just had a chance to get this working. In case anyone else wants to do this, here is what I did:

1) Make all simple “child” products visible by changing the code referenced in this thread:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/43561/

2) Open the file at app/design/frontend/default/default/template/catalog/product/view.phtml

3) Find the following code:

$_helper $this->helper('catalog/output');

$_product $this->getProduct();

4) Insert this code after it:

//redirect to parent product if a child product
    if(isset(
$parentId[0]))

{
          $parent 
Mage::getModel('catalog/product')->load($parentId[0]);
          echo 

}

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jakub@WebCatch

Nottingham, UK

Found an even better way of dealing with that - instead of doing a javascript redirect, you can modify the product controller and do the “redirect” there. The advantage is that it will be much faster (in the previous approach you basically need to load two different pages) and you won’t need to do any tricks to enable simple product pages…

The file you need to modify is /app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/controllers/ProductController and the method name is _initProduct().

Find the code which retrieves the product to be displayed:

$product Mage::getModel('catalog/product')
            ->
setStoreId(Mage::app()->getStore()->getId())
            ->
load($productId);

And add this code after it:

if($product->type_id=="simple"){
        $parentId 
$product->loadParentProductIds()->getData('parent_product_ids');
        if(isset(
$parentId[0]))

{
            $product 

}
    }

It is almost identical to the code we used before on the product page. The difference is that you do not need to do any sort of redirect, you just change the $product variable from the simple product to a corresponding configurable product.

That’s it, simple and elegant.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gurubob

Total Posts:  7

Jakub@WebCatch - 19 March 2010 07:13 AM

It is almost identical to the code we used before on the product page. The difference is that you do not need to do any sort of redirect, you just change the $product variable from the simple product to a corresponding configurable product.

That’s it, simple and elegant.

I don’t know what effect this will have on SEO - the URL to the old product will still be live and valid whereas the redirect method has the advantage that you can control whether clients/robots etc will be permanently or temporarily redirected to the new URL.

Good spotting though, I’ll be using your method myself.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Matt Dean
Guru

Total Posts:  549

Nice work chaps, I’ll no doubt need to use that at some point. It’s always nice when you find a pre-done solution to things like this smile

Only little thing I’d point out (which I bet you know but others might not) is that it’s possible for a product to have more than 1 parent. Quite how you would handle that any better than you currently do I’m not sure. (presumably the order that the parentIds come back in is pretty consistent, so you always redirect to the same parent?)

I suppose you could possibly do it with a custom attribute which points at the ‘preferred’ parent product or something, but it’s probably not worth the hassle.

Matt

Magento Community
Magento Community

eCom

Total Posts:  53

Guys, can you help me to do the following?

The objective is to show all colors of a product on the search and catalog. So I’ve created a configurable product with visibility set to search only while all the child products’ visibility was set to visible for catalog and search.

How can the simple products to link to the parent products with the \"selected attribute\” already in place?
ie.  user see\’s in the category, the list of all t-shirts showing all 4 colors of the configurable product>, and when clicking on one of them, he will reach the configured product (as done in the code in previous post), while the color is already selected <via drop box, and thus also the image, (I used this article to do it>

Thanks a lot!

Magento Community
Magento Community

jpk.in

Total Posts:  160
Cochin, India

thanks for the info
resolved issue regarding configurable products in bestsellers…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Fortimir

Total Posts:  35

Is there a way to redirect only on configured items but NOT on grouped items?  We have ran into a situation where we need to access the individual item’s info from the grouped page, but don’t want that to be possible on the items we have set up as configurable. Is this possible?

Magento Community
Magento Community

kolomayah

Total Posts:  4

thanks foor share

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tacgear

Total Posts:  52

afmaury - 02 February 2010 05:45 PM

Ok, just had a chance to get this working. In case anyone else wants to do this, here is what I did:

1) Make all simple “child” products visible by changing the code referenced in this thread:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/43561/

2) Open the file at app/design/frontend/default/default/template/catalog/product/view.phtml

3) Find the following code:

$_helper $this->helper('catalog/output');

$_product $this->getProduct();

4) Insert this code after it:

//redirect to parent product if a child product
    if(isset(
$parentId[0]))

{
          $parent 
          echo 

}

Inserting this code does nothing in 1.5.1, all I really want is something that reads “View this item with all of it’s options.” Not even a redirect but I can’t get this to echo anything. /sadface

Magento Community
Magento Community

leesoes

Total Posts:  3

I think this is the weak point of magento

Magento Community
Magento Community

leesoes

Total Posts:  3

I also face the same problem, have you got the answer?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3