Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Basic Store with Modern Theme—on VPS with 340megs RAM - performance? 

vengy

Total Posts:  7

When I’m the only one on the store, performance has seemed ok, especially since I’m on a 360meg RAM VPS (linode in Atlanta datacenter).  However, I’m curious to how it performs with many of you looking at the store at the same time.  I’ll most likely be upgrading it to 540megs RAM at some point.

This is v1.0 with the Modern theme, with just a few modifications by me so far.

lanpartystore.com

Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mrjohnnycake

Total Posts:  35
Arcata, CA. USA

Fairly slow.  My guess is that it’ll be slower once you get more stuff on there.

I searched and tested a few magento hosts and will personally recommend HelpingHandHost and SimpleHelix.  HHH is cheaper though and I find magento even runs okay on their personal site hosting which costs me something like $5.60 month after the 20% discount.  SimpleHelix works great but they’re more expensive than HHH.  If you’re going to have an important, money making site I would suggest getting the pricier magento hosting plans.  Otherwise it’s like opening a retail store shop in a building with crappy pipes and an electrical system that works sometimes.

I’m also wary of VPS hosts since, in my opinion, it’s less secure.  If you’re going that route at least get a dedicated IP.

Keep going.  You’re on the right track.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pauljg1

Total Posts:  179

Very quick load time . Im based in the U.K i wish my site was as fast as yours. Well done grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

dan_w

Total Posts:  290

Yeah, I’d have to say that its pretty speedy as well. No problems that I can see. There’s no performance issues that would turn me away as a consumer.

Magento Community
Magento Community

leeaston

Total Posts:  77
France

Can I ask where you’re hosted?

Magento Community
Magento Community

vengy

Total Posts:  7

It is running on a VPS at linode.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

leeaston

Total Posts:  77
France

Thanks, I wish I had the skill to manage my own server :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

l0st

Total Posts:  55

Well, I’m not sure how much your paying a month but maybe you should look here:
http://www.server4you.com/us/economy/showplan.php?products=0

30 bucks a month for a dedicated server is not bad. Plus it has a ram upgrade from what your using.

Magento Community
Magento Community

youngcow

Total Posts:  10

nice store, works well and loads quickly, UK.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

mrjohnnycake - 02 May 2008 07:47 AM

I’m also wary of VPS hosts since, in my opinion, it’s less secure.  If you’re going that route at least get a dedicated IP.

How do you figure question

Magento Community
Magento Community

tbone007

Total Posts:  13

Speed is pretty good compared to my VPS.

The first add to cart took about 8 seconds here in PA.

Subsequent adds took around 4 secs.

Mine takes an average of 8 seconds each time to add to cart on a VPS with 1 user… me.

I wonder how much ram it takes to get it to a 1 second add to cart procedure consistently. Is that even possible?

As I am looking for new cart software, after playing in Magento for an hour or two and then trying a demo of some paid carts, it sort of blows my mind when I can add a product to a cart in half a second. It sort of makes you dizzy. No seriously.

Does magento run faster if you have 10,000 simultaneous users or something? Shouldn’t it scream with 1 user online.
Maybe it feeds on the energy of the users online and hauls some major booty when it’s busy.

I would think 90+% of people looking at open source carts don’t usually deal with that kind of volume. You would think with one user on a VPS adding 1 trinket to a shopping cart would be pretty darn quick.

What is the cart doing for 8 seconds, decoding human DNA sequences in the background?

I am confused by the whole thing.

I need a beer!

Tbone

Magento Community
Magento Community

jared

Total Posts:  21

Any chance you’d want to share you slightly modified theme?

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

"What is the cart doing for 8 seconds, decoding human DNA sequences in the background?”

that some funny stuff right there =p

anyway, you might wanna check us out if you are still looking for the cure to the ‘slow sluggish magento syndrome’ , just drop us a line.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TemplatesMaster
Guru

Total Posts:  308
Switzerland

We have used Mediatemple gs package for several our clients. We moved them from differenet hosting and they had performance problems ondifferent virtual dedicated servers.  GS package at Mediatemple cost 20$ per month and i think it worth of it.  It’s scalable and offer MySQL grid container for additional 20$.  Also you got SSH access.  Hope soon we will test Magento stores at heavy user load. We have several zencart stores hosted on shared accounts. They allow hundreds of users browse deep inside at same time. So we are wondering what servers we need to handle such amount of requests with Magento grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

I don’t know about that TemplatesMaster.

(gs) is good enough for applications like oscommerce. but for magento, tells a far different story.
As we have a lot of (gs) refugees with us right now, and they’ll be the first to tell you what their experience with (gs) was.

Their nitro plan on the otherhand, is more comparable to our offerings and most adequate for live production Magento sites.

Magento Community
Magento Community

USAMerchant

Total Posts:  50

at the moment 12:34 am EST, its seems a bit slow to load the product pages.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2