Magento Forum

Category Images Not Showing On Front End

PhilV

Total Posts:  3

Hi

We’ve recently moved a client’s website over to our server. Everything seems to have gone well with the exception that I can’t seem to get the category images displaying on the site, despite them being uploaded where they should be and visible in the admin area.

I’ve searched the forums and can find plenty of references to similar problems with the product images, but not specifically the category images. Having said that I have checked most of the suggestions mentioned in those threads, but to no avail!

I’ve checked that the server has GD support enabled (including JPG, PNG and GIF support), the server has safe mode set to ‘off’ and it’s memory limit is set high enough (128MB). I’ve also chomded media/catalog/category the folder to 777, tried re-saving and re-uploading the images (both through FTP and the admin section).

I’ve now come to the conclusion that it might not be an issue with the images themselves. I edited the app/design/frontend/default/default/template/catalog/category/view.phtml file to echo out the value returned by getImageUrl() and it is blank.

I’m new to Magento and as such I’ve probably missed something very obvious!

Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Incognito
Guru

Total Posts:  322
Michigan

You can try refreshing the images cache, but i don’t think that they are cached in most layouts Are the placeholders for the images displayed in ie? check to see if the images are in the media/catalog/category directory.

Magento Community
Magento Community

PhilV

Still got this issue unfortunately. Tried refreshing the cache, the placeholder images display in IE and the images are in the media/catalog/category directory.

Any other sggestions would be appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

seudo
Guru

Total Posts:  344

Are your images being scaled?

Are your product images not showing?

See if safe mode is on. If so turn it off.

Magento Community
Magento Community

PhilV

Yes the images are being scaled.

Yes the product images display fine, in both the admin and the frontend.

And no, safe mode isn’t on.

Still no joy :-(

Magento Community
Magento Community

WMechelle

Total Posts:  52

I am having the same issue.  I did a reload of my site from a backup. The image files are in the correct folder as a matter a fact if I delete the image to the category and reload it the new image shows in the correct folder as a new image but it still will not show on the front end.  My place holder images will not show either.

ANY insight is welcome.

web site is

www.ier-online.com

Wendy

Magento Community
Magento Community

seudo
Guru

@ PhilV and WMechelle - Are the permissions set correctly on the media directory?

See http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/magento-installation-guide

and http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/magento_filesystem_permissions

Also, just a thought do you have PHP with the following:
PHP Compatibility:

* Required extensions:
o PDO_MySQL
o simplexml
o mcrypt
o hash
o GD
o DOM
o iconv
o curl
o SOAP (if Webservices API is to be used)
* Safe_mode off
* Memory_limit no less than 256Mb (preferably 512)

Magento Community
Magento Community

brauwser

Total Posts:  2

I had the same problem, raising the memory limit to 512M solved the problem. It is a known problem GD consumes a lot of PHP memory, so when you use large images this can provide a problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community

runawaykinms

Total Posts:  80
United States

brauwser - 14 June 2010 11:19 PM

I had the same problem, raising the memory limit to 512M solved the problem. It is a known problem GD consumes a lot of PHP memory, so when you use large images this can provide a problem.

I am having the same problem with large product images. Can someone explain how I can raise the memory limit? Which file do I need to go to? 

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

seudo
Guru

Check with your host to make sure you have access to more memory. Some hosts will restrict this.

Then you can edit the .htaccess file located in the directory you installed Magento.
Example: magento_install_directory/.htaccess

Search for php_value memory_limit.

The value to the right of it is the memory allotted to php. You can change it to 512M. I think the default is either 128M or 256M.

Hope that helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

runawaykinms

Total Posts:  80
United States

Thanks man!!!!

I found three files in the magento install directory having to do with htaccess:

1. .htaccess
2. .htaccess.sample
3. .htaccess1

I went into all three files and changed the memory limit to 512M.

However, that didn’t fix the problem, images still not showing. :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

Megalith

Total Posts:  6

was this resolved? i have the same thing but for products as well, only time it shows is if you click on show larger. this is a producion server, happened after hard drive upgrade. images are correct, phpinfo says 512 for both master and local, php has all extensions plus extensions required by some plugins (imagick) still nothing, all other website images are being displayed, permissions have been set to 777 for all media.

it seems to be to do with image creation as i get a 20% off image with a white background and the resized phumbnail is not shown. prior to the hardware issue this worked.

I halso had an issue with the admin id (had to edit 2 values in the database to point to the correct id. thinking this may be why so might try and undo those changes

Magento Community
Magento Community

spyiip

Resolved: PHP settings must switch off magic_quotes_gpc; then reinserted the image via magento admin… and viola!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community