Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Can’t change default image placeholder

cryx

Total Posts:  7

Hi, I’m getting pretty angry over here. Can’t figure out a way to change the default image placeholder for my products.

These are the things i’ve done:

Part 1:

1. Downloaded the different images (image.jpg, small_image.jpg and thumbnail.jpg) and changed the size on image.jpg and replaced the magento symbol with my own.
2. Uploaded it to mytheme/images/catalog/product/placeholder then cleared all different caches, nothing happened.

Part 2:

1. Went to System -> Config and uploaded the same different placeholders I just resized directly in there, same thing cleared caches, nothing happened.

Part 3:

1. Deleted the cache folder in /media/catalog/product/cache but it just came back and it didn’t work.
2. Tried to replace the images in default/default/images/catalog/product/placeholder, cleared all caches, no change.
3. Deleted Cache in the var folder, nothing changed.
4. I even tried to replace my 200x200 image.jpg with the standard 265x265 one in media/catalog/product/placeholder/default but it didn’t WORK?!

Ok, here’s the thing. As you probably know, the standard placeholder image.jpg is 265x265 with the Magento symbol on it. I succeeded to get rid of the symbol with my own, but the size still remains! I don’t know what’s going on here.

When I update the page and check the placeholder with Firebug it says that it uses this one:
magento/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/placeholder/default/image1.jpg

Which I tried deleting and replace with no success. It just comes back as soon as I refresh the page.

Can anyone help me, please?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

betterbatt

Total Posts:  53

I was having terrible trouble trying to change these images too.

I still haven’t figured out how to do it using my theme folder or my own skin folder which means the way I’m about to tell you will be overwritten in a Magento upgrade.

But the only way I could change them was to replace the images in this folder:

/skin/frontend/base/default/images/catalog/product/placeholder

Be careful to backup the original images though because if you delete them and Magento can’t find them it will produce an error on the front end.

Let me know if this works for you.

Hoping someone can provide a way to do this that doesn’t require overwriting default core files.

Liam

Magento Community
Magento Community

betterbatt

Total Posts:  53

I didn’t realise there was a backend option. I’ve just used this and it works perfect too:

system>config>catalog>product image placeholders.

I uploaded already sized images maybe this was why yours didn’t work? Also make sure to clear the images cache not flush the default cache. This worked for me.

Liam

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community