Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
Cannot get Buy X get Y free (discount amount is Y) to work

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

Magento does not allow to add or discount new product Y to the cart when X product is added.  So it is only possible to offer “add 4 the same t-shirts to the cart and get discount to one of them”. 

To add free products you can consider Auto Add Promo Items module.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

M Hijmans

Total Posts:  5

In my shopping cart are these items:
X
X
X
Y

Then, under Actions, section ‘Apply the rule only to cart items matching the following criteria’ I chose my free product. As soon as I have done that, the rule isn’t working anymore. I don’t want Magento to add product Y to the cart, the customer will do this himself.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Ok, this is really confusing as magento can give discounts to the same products only, while in the action name they use “X” and “Y”.
Let me repeat one more time: it is not posible with the default magento rules. You need either:
1) modify magento core files
2) install some addons (like our special promotions)
3) create a different marketing promo

Magento Community
Magento Community

keegenk

Total Posts:  3

I’m having problems getting a shopping cart price rule up and going.  I want a person to be able to enter a code and get 3 for the price of 1

I would really appreciate any help.  I’m probably missing something simple, but I’ve been trying to get this to work for a while now with no changes

i chose all customer groups
coupon code : specific coupon
coupon code seems to work because when I test it accepts the code
From Date: today

Conditions: I left blank (If ALL of these conditions are TRUE:)

Actions:
Apply: Buy X get Y free
Discount amount: 2
Maximum Qty: 0
Discount Qty Step: 3
Apply to Shipping : no
Free Shipping: no
Stop Further Rules: no

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

keegenk - 30 November 2011 12:00 PM

I’m having problems getting a shopping cart price rule up and going.  I want a person to be able to enter a code and get 3 for the price of 1

I would really appreciate any help.  I’m probably missing something simple, but I’ve been trying to get this to work for a while now with no changes

i chose all customer groups
coupon code : specific coupon
coupon code seems to work because when I test it accepts the code
From Date: today

Conditions: I left blank (If ALL of these conditions are TRUE:)

Actions:
Discount amount: 2
Discount Qty Step: 3
Apply to Shipping : no
Free Shipping: no
Stop Further Rules: no

You configuration is logical, however this action doesn’t work this way, I’m afraid.

For example to create buy 3 for the price of two you will need to indicate the following:
Discount amount: 1
Discount Qty Step: 2

This way out of 3 items a customer adds to cart, 2 will be paid, 1 free. In other words ‘Discount Qty Step’ field is for the number of paid items. However when ‘Discount Qty Step’ number is smaller than ‘Discount amount’ number, like in your situation, the rule just doesn’t work.

So it looks like your kind of promotion won’t be possible with this action, if you will use a coupon for this.

As far as I can see, the only free option, that will do such kind of thing is creation of two rules with these settings:
Discount amount: 1
Discount Qty Step: 2

This way one rule will give 1 item of the 3 for free and the other rule will give one more item of the 3 for free, so 2 items of the 3 will be free. However in such situation you won’t be able to use a coupon.

Are you interested in better options which are paid?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mathew Porter

Total Posts:  7
Nottingham

I have managed to configure my Magento Cart Rules for a buy 3 pay for 2 and it works well, the only issue is that it only applies to 1 product.

So an example on my site: Shapewear from Pelham and Strutt I can add 3 t-shirts to the cart (or any product) and I get the discount of 1 item applied.

I need this rule to work differently, so that any combination of products, e.g. 1x t-shirt, 1x vest, 1x body shaper are added to cart and the discount of the cost of the cheapest product is applied.

Any help or plugins that work well? I did find this free extension: Coupon Extension which is free, but dont think it can be configured to work how I need.

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

portex1985 - 07 December 2012 02:07 AM

I need this rule to work differently, so that any combination of products, e.g. 1x t-shirt, 1x vest, 1x body shaper are added to cart and the discount of the cost of the cheapest product is applied.

Any help or plugins that work well?

Have you already tried the Special Promotions module?

Magento Community
Magento Community

kapilanktech

Total Posts:  4

Hi,

I have a bit different condition. I want if a customer buy product x and apply a particular coupon code then product y automatically added in his cart.
is there any price rule for this or any one can guide me how can I do this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jase007
Guru

Total Posts:  388

Hi,

You can have a look this thread for more idea http://blog.goods-pro.com/1733/magento-extension-buy-x-selection-of-products-get-another-y-selection-for-free/

Hope help you!!

Thanks

iLoveMage

Magento Community
Magento Community

foowebs

Total Posts:  5
Wesley Chapel, FL

I had just posted how to fix this magento problem… http://www.foowebs.com/p134-Magento--How-to-Get-Buy-One-Get-One-Half-Off-To-Work

Magento Community
Magento Community

christinavick
Guru

Total Posts:  355

Hello,

Check this thread for help http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/how-to-setup-buy-x-get-y-free

Thanks

iLoveMage

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2