Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Take the Magento User Survey! One lucky winner takes home a Google Nexus One phone

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Does your company use Magento or are you currently evaluating Magento as your next eCommerce platform? If so, we’d love to hear from you.

The survey will take only a few short minutes. The information collected will help us improve our offerings and services as well as shape Magento’s product roadmap in the months to come. Click here to take the survey.

We’ll be giving away a free Google Nexus One phone to one lucky respondent, selected randomly from all fully completed survey submissions, so make sure to make your voice heard for a chance to win!

Your help and feedback are greatly appreciated!

The the survey

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Turnkeye
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  908
URL: turnkeye.com

This survey is currently closed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

stevecgarry

Total Posts:  38
Co Meath Ireland

Dont think it’s just the survey that’s closed, from the state of things in the support areas, I’m wondering if anyone is at home in Varien community, or if they’ve all been reassigned to Enterprise.

I’m VERY dissapointed with the lack of support, bad documentation and a whole host of other issues that mean I’ve near enough wasted the better part of 3 weeks of evenings trying to get this monster to work, and I’ve been in much larger and much smaller computing of one sort or another for over 30 years, so have a few ideas how things work, or more accurately how they are supposed to!

Not impressed, you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression, and my first impression of Varien when the time came for them to stand up and be counted is that they don’t care about Community any more.

Steve

Magento Community
Magento Community

Turnkeye
Enthusiast

stevecgarry - 16 March 2010 02:18 AM

Dont think it’s just the survey that’s closed, from the state of things in the support areas, I’m wondering if anyone is at home in Varien community, or if they’ve all been reassigned to Enterprise.

I’m VERY dissapointed with the lack of support, bad documentation and a whole host of other issues that mean I’ve near enough wasted the better part of 3 weeks of evenings trying to get this monster to work, and I’ve been in much larger and much smaller computing of one sort or another for over 30 years, so have a few ideas how things work, or more accurately how they are supposed to!

Not impressed, you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression, and my first impression of Varien when the time came for them to stand up and be counted is that they don’t care about Community any more.

Steve

Some points are true.

However, community edition is free, and there are no any official support for it (only support from partners is available).

And you free to choose any other ecommerce solution with official support http://www.shopping-cart-reviews.com/

Magento Community
Magento Community

stevecgarry

Total Posts:  38
Co Meath Ireland

Understand completely that there is no such thing as a free lunch. That said, I think that Varien’s interests would be better served by making sure that the community is strong and committed, which does require them to do more than just put new releases into an archive every so often. Even community developers have to know how the package works if they are going to develop new modules and make changes of any sort, and that can’t happen without information, and that information has to be both timely and accurate. Community has been on the back burner for a while, and it shows, hopefully that will be recovered before it does significant damage, and make no mistake, the potential to do serious damage is there, and the control of that is absolutely down to Varien.

Looking at the news release today, and reading between the lines, Varien have been between a rock and a hard place recently with the undoubted success of Enterprise, there are some big names using it, and I will bet whatever you like that those users have been putting Varien under a lot of pressure recently as a result, and we all know that budgets for anything at the moment are under massive pressure.

In one respect, that’s part of the problem, there’s nothing between Community and the full blown very expensive Enterprise system. and if I go back to some of my clients with a $12k per annum figure for the package, I won’t be walking out of the door, and I certainly won’t be walking back in again anytime soon. 

What has completely annoyed me, and made my task a lot harder than it should have been is that things like the User guide, which is not free, and templates for the system, which are not necessarily free, did not come up to scratch. Yes, 1.4 is very new, but that does not mean that the user guide, which is also new, should not be in sync with the software, and should carry warnings about things like SuPHP permissions where they are relevant, I spent too long discovering that the 500 errors were due to permissions being wrong for the environment, but correct according to the documentation Equally, some of the documentation that is on the site is now so out of date, its no help at all

In the same vein, a template, if it’s advertised as compatible with Magento, should be capable of being moved without too much pain onto the new version, and if for some reason that’s not a simple task, then I’m sorry, but the developer/marketer should withdraw it until such time as it’s either upgraded, or a procedure that will convert it to the new release is available.

I don’t mind a small charge for support if it’s going to work, but that should be for issues that are not how to get the basic install to work out of the box, which is what’s been causing me pain. At the moment, I can’t get 1.3.2.4 to display images of products, but they are initially appearing in the box, but then get lost when they are applied to the product. I think it’s .htaccess related, but that should not be an issue I need to get involved with, that should have been in the release package.

When the magento-check software gives an OK report but the install fails because some items (curl_exec) are not available as standard on a shared hosting server, that’s not overly helpful, and finding out why is not easy, especially with the snail performance of the site here over the last week. OK, it was being DOS attacked by spammers, and that’s been hopefully partially solved by todays install of Capcha validation, which will help.

I wanted to use Magento because I thought that it would offer facilities and options that most other packages don’t have, but to do that, I have to at least be able to get it to work, and from what I’m seeing in the forums, I am by no means alone in having problems, the very real concern is the high number of people that are having fundamental issues getting it working.

Some of that is for sure that magento is a complex and highly structured product, and most web developers are not used to working in that type of environment.

I was, due to spending a number of years providing technical consultancy on a very large and complex financial services insurance package that was very much based around modular processing. and structured code, so I had hoped that Magento would not be such a massive issue to get to grips with, but any strongly structured system needs to have good supporting information if people are going to be able to get to grips with its methods of operation and data warehousing.

For whatever reason, Magento is not well documented in that respect at the moment, and that’s caused a lot of pain. At the end of the day, I don’t care too much how the code is structured to access the data, or what language its in, if I can see what the database contains, and in the same vein what it doesn’t, I can work out very rapidly if a product can do what I need it to without too much pain, or if complex changes are going to be required..

Steve

Magento Community
Magento Community

cy123

Total Posts:  1

February 17, 1963, cheap jordan Michael Jordan was born in Brooklyn, a Catholic hospital in New York. He is Diluoruisi and James Jordan’s fourth child, but also one of the smallest of three sons. He also has a sister and a younger sister.Jordan had the old couple from childhood awareness-building children’s self-confidence and racial pride, and pay attention to the children a good family upbringing, teach them to be polite, honest, and respectcheap jordan for the elderly “My family gave me the belief to succeed. I was a kid to be educated very useful, has been promoting and helping me become what I am today. My character and laughter, as my father, my business savvy and rigorous as the mother. “Jordan said, not without deep feeling.Jordan old couple’s five children in the training and education of their parents will grow up healthy, without too much trouble to provoke their parents, and only come up with points, Michael is often joke for his parents to La Tortura. Michael quite a bit like the childhood street children Tom Sawyer. He was in the 1989 CBA “David Rittmann program had talked about his childhood in an interesting adventure. In his two years old when, one day old and Jordan is their own backyard, check the car’s engine with the flashlight, no attention to Michael curiously playing with power lines, a small hand touched wire connectors, was Shuaichu one meter far, almostcheap jordan mourning the small life. Five years old when his parents banned him from playing an ax, he would not listen. Once he sneaked outside to take an ax to firewood, the results of an inattentive, axes do not cut the wood, but Kandao his toes. The pain and shouting he called back home and parents know what to do, had no license to practice medicine was invited to a doctor’s woman claiming to be a neighbor, this woman “doctor” up on Michael bloody poured a big toe kerosene lamp, pain Michael yelling, but it stopped the bleeding.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Turnkeye
Enthusiast

Spam again, how to report it to Webmasters?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Booza

Total Posts:  4
San Diego

I was surprised that there is no survey when I click on it?  Ralph

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community