Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Problem with layout.xml file, cant get content to display…

danpowered

Total Posts:  9

Hi, im pretty new with this framework, but after 2 days of strolling through the code, i begin to understand many parts.

Now im testing by developping a new extension.  So here are the steps i went through (lets say for simplicity’s sake that the package and modules are named Package and Module.)

1- Created the folder for my package and module in local (following the same naming conventions found in code/Mage, so Package/Module)
2- Created a controllers, Blocks and Models folders and the files pertaining to them (i created a default indexAction function in the controller, which i called Package_Module_IndexController, and a block named Display.php containing nothing a the moment.)
3- Registered it through a xml file in app/etc, using the same structure that i found in a payment module solution, and named it Package_Module.xml
4- Created a module.xml file in the design/frontend/default/default/layout, following examples in the designer’s guide
5- And finally, added a display.phtml in the design/frontend/default/default/template directory, containing some text to test.

Now, i cant get the content to show in the page.  I know most of the code works because i can change the template layout from 1column to 3columns by changing it in the module.xml file in the layout directory, but my specific content doesnt show.  I tried picking a block from another layout.xml file (wishlist.xml for example), and the content from that block loads.

Here’s the line i wrote for my content block :

<block type="module/display" name="module.display" template="module/display.phtml"/>

Do I need to specify to the layout xml that the code isnt found in the code directory but in the local directory, as i did in the module registration with code_pool?  Or is there something wrong with my xml line found above?

Thanks for helping if you have any idea!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

in your app/code/local/Package/Module/etc/config.xml should be block group configuration:

<config>
  <global>
    <
blocks>
      <
mymodule>
        <class>
Package_Module_Block</class>
      </
mymodule>
    </
blocks>