Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Any one doing a Bookshop with Magento? 

Bloomland

Total Posts:  9

I would like to know if there’s anyone out there building up a Magento Bookstore. Please leave your message here.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Ron Phillips

Total Posts:  57

I’m building a Comic Book store. Does that count?

Magento Community
Magento Community

DancePlus

Total Posts:  17
Toronto, ON Canada

Books will be one of 5 product categories in the store I’m building.

Linda

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

yes ...am building one myself..just curious on “why this post”?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bloomland

Just want to know your experience and your problems, mainly with the attributes. Author, Publisher, ISBN. How is it going? Everything at its place? Do you click on a specific author and you can see all the books you have available by him, just like any online bookstore? I’m having such issues.

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

yes ...you are right .... it takes some bit of customization to get a bookstore run out of magento ..but the beauty of magento is that it is based out of Zend framework and that makes it such a good ecommerce offering - Some place where I had problems and had to customize were -
i. double SKU in book industry - ISBN10 and ISBN13 - I am going by only ISBN10 as sku (ISBN13 I have added as an attribute)
ii. Search performance - Every bookstore has a huge inventory on display and current Magento search is certainly lacking power in handling that kind of inventory
iii. Author - Book relationship - I have used the multi-select attribute of magento to implement this relationship and have customized to store the relationship in custom tables so that I can search for books of a particular author
iv. Multi-Currency at book level - currently magento supports multi currency at store level :(
v. Import process in Magento - This is particularly the most important of all !!!

So that involves quite a bit of work smile..am eager to listen to other bookstores on how they customized!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bloomland

Yes it takes time to put everything on wheels. Magento is very new and will have its own time to develop and improve.
i. I’m using ISBN13 as sku.
ii. I’m not sure about the search engine yet. Have to try it. I guess it depends a lot of your webhost.
iii. This I didn’t get it yet. As I didn’t get how to show the name of the author just beneath, and clickable, the book title. This is basic stuff I know. We’re just starting here and didn’t had much time yet to look into code changing.
iv. It means that for a particular item you cannot change the currency view?
v. Yes this is a must. For thousands of books imagine the time it takes. I should be able to take all my stock from my POS software (I’m using Checkout for Mac), or another handy tool like BOOKS (http://books.aetherial.net) and import it through magento. Will this be possible in the future? I don’t know.

Another thing is that I will have books in different languages. And appart from books I plan to sell other products and devices.
(can I see some of your work in progress?)

Anyway everything in Magento is worthy and we should be thanked to be able to use it.

I would like to have my website running in one month period.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobD

Total Posts:  3

srinigenie - 03 May 2008 04:39 AM

iii. Author - Book relationship - I have used the multi-select attribute of magento to implement this relationship and have customized to store the relationship in custom tables so that I can search for books of a particular author

Where did you find out about, or can you give me more details about, custom tables?  I’m struggling precisely with this same problem.  Books with multiple authors and authors with multiple books.  Normally I’d have a book table/relation an author’s one and the intersection table to handle the many-to-many.  How do you do that in Magento?

Thanks, Rob

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

- Book with multiple-authors is catered to by the multi-select attributes provided by magento
- Authors with multiple books needs a custom table which maintains the relationship - everytime a book is created/udpated this table needs to be updated
Custom table should relate entity_id <-> eav_attribute_option_id (which will be the author)

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

Total Posts:  328

@Bloomland: I guess you konw about this bookstore: http://www.landscape.co.uk/shop/books

But they don’t have that many titles, so it will probably not answer your questions directly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobD

Total Posts:  3

srinigenie - 05 July 2008 06:00 PM

- Book with multiple-authors is catered to by the multi-select attributes provided by magento
- Authors with multiple books needs a custom table which maintains the relationship - everytime a book is created/udpated this table needs to be updated
Custom table should relate entity_id <-> eav_attribute_option_id (which will be the author)

Hello,

I’m sorry but I could do with much more information to stand any chance of knowing what to do - are there any helpfiles or topics in the documentation that might explain this in more depth, or can you tell me more?  This would be so straightforward with a book, book_author, and author set of tables wink

So, in Magento, I create a multi-select attribute, but how do I populate that dropdown list with all the authors?  What are authors in Magento-speak: products, attributes or something else?  Then what are books are they products? and how do I find out more about custom tables and how to relate (oh and by the way when you mention eav_attribute_option_id is that the table called eav_attribute_option and the field called option_id?)

As you can see, whilst I might be relatively expert in php OO programming and in databases I’m very much at the first steps stage in Magento and any more detailed help would be a life-saver.

thanks Rob

Magento Community
Magento Community

Del Fondente

Total Posts:  28

I’ve been thinking about this issue of relating books to authors and authors to books, and I think the approach that would be most useful is to create a new entity type for Magento for contributors to a book (putting contributors at the same level in the system as products/books and categories). While using the multi-select attribute might be fine to assign a set of authors to an individual book, it doesn’t allow for displaying those chosen authors in a particular order, or assigning a specific role to each author (and doesn’t allow you to view all books for a particular author without some customization). For some types of books (such as children’s books or graphic novels) you may want to keep track of contributors that aren’t “authors”, such as an illustrator, artist, translator, or person that wrote an introduction.

With that in mind, a new entity type for contributors could solve those problems.  That entity could have attributes to store the contributor’s name, role, and sort order for display. This would facilitate display of all books associated with a particular contributor in the frontend. I haven’t yet built any custom modules for Magento, but am interested in working on some of this functionality. If anyone else has this need and wants to work on this, we can start a Magento Group for booksellers and combine our efforts.

If I’m making this more complicated than necessary and there’s a fairly straightforward way to use Magento’s existing features to get similar functionality to what I described, someone please chime in and share your thoughts here.

Magento Community
Magento Community

WisdOMbooks

Total Posts:  144
Kolkata (Calcutta) - INDIA

Del Fondente - 20 July 2008 03:11 PM

.. I think the approach that would be most useful is to create a new entity type for Magento for contributors to a book (putting contributors at the same level in the system as products/books and categories)…
... a new entity type for contributors could solve those problems.  That entity could have attributes to store the contributor’s name, role, and sort order for display… I am interested in working on some of this functionality.
If anyone else has this need and wants to work on this, we can start a Magento Group for booksellers and combine our efforts…

YES excaim 
I also see the necessity to start a BOOK-GROUP
for the many (I guess & hope) who are dealing with books.

I did try to introduce the topic of a People Super-Attribute,
sometime ago (here, here, here and here).
However, though the Magento Team found it interesting,
somehow, till now, it has not gone much far. 

Though myself am not a coder/programmer red face 
I am ready to give fully my input
as an experienced bookseller of 20 years
cool smile

I wish to invite Srigenie into this,
since, a part being an excellent programmer,
he has already an extensive experience
with books websites and Magento.

Of course, everybody is invited to participate &
give comments, suggestions, etc.
As they said:  If we build it… they will come !

A n g e l o

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community