Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to restart installation after it has failed

technical

Total Posts:  2

I have a problem with installing Magento.
I use table prefixes on my database table names and (apparently wrongly) assumed that because Magento can use a table prefix, that I could install another Magento client into the same database as an existing one and the table prefix would happily keep them separate.
When the installation failed, I searched for info and found a comment that the foreign keys use hard coded names and don’t make use of the table prefix name - thus causing key conflicts in the database.

So, having setup a separate database in order to try the installation again, I now find that the Magento installation wizard just starts from where it left off (trying to install with the previously entered information, and therefore the wrong database name/user/etc) - instead of back at the start asking me for database name and user etc.

I have closed the browser and started over again in case it was a session issue, but to no avail.
I’ve deleted var/cache files, and session files. No good.

I have searched for an answer to this but nothing is being returned for my search criteria and I’m now stumped.

Are the installation parameters stored somewhere in a file that the installation is picking up each time - therefore stopping me from entering the new (correct) details?

Any help on this would be appreciated!
Cheers,
Rob

p.s. It might be beneficial to include a note in the installation procedure that notes you must use a database that doesn’t currently have a Magento installation in it to avoid this problem. Alternatively, using the table prefix in the key names in the database would resolve it.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

toniusco

Total Posts:  1

delete the file /app/etc/local.xml

Magento Community
Magento Community

slicknog

Total Posts:  1

Did this work for you? I had a similar problem trying to restart my installation. Basically I deleted all the magento files from my FTP and I even deleted the database in my MYSQL because I wanted to start from scratch, so I created a new database, different name/user and uploaded all the original untouched magento files.

When I went to the wizard in my browser, I got to the config page asking for the database info. For some reason all of the info for the new database wasn’t working? The db name, user and pass were all correct, I left it at “localhost” and tried it few times. I’m not sure of the error but it was either saying the database was wrong or the username was wrong… which couldn’t be the case.

I tried to start the wizard over by going back to the base url and refreshing the page… now, no matter what I do I get this error:

“Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.”

Any thoughts? Did I ruin a file that I can just delete from my FTP? Please help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

technical

Total Posts:  2

Perfect, thank you!

Deleting app/etc/local.xml worked grin

Cheers,
Rob

Magento Community
Magento Community