Am I Right or Wrong?
Right 4
Wrong 6
Total Votes: 10
You must be a logged-in member to vote
How Advanced But Primitive…

Conyx Group

Total Posts:  66

Developing a sites and most items need a “customer” input field for dates or names to be printed on the product. The more I use magento the more i see how much basic functions its lacking. It looks “cool” and has great “effects”, but I think “currently” its targeted more for simple online stores and NOT complex product structures. Dont get me wrong I think it has great potential, BUT even some crappy carts out there have more “practical” functions then magento. For example: if you need to add a size list to your product, why do you need to create 10 simple products for a simple drop down menu? Or if a customer need to input their name because the product is personalized, why cant they.?

I know the Magento team could of done this, but the question is why didnt they?

Am I missing something...I want to convert all of my clients to Magento BUT I can’t at the moment, the cart cant support the functions my customers need.

All comments are welcome, im not bashing Magento at all, i love the concept but I would like to know why were the simple functions missed or not developed?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

Total Posts:  328

Hello, even though I write wish lists myself, I believe that you should take into consideration that the Magento team have started a open source commerce solution from scratch.grin It will take some time to have “all the functions we can dream of”, but I am sure that they are working hard to implement more features. You can find more information under the roadmap:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/roadmap

If you are not moving all your customers to Magento at this time, you probably still have a number of customers that don´t need to ´input their name because the product is personalized´. I even think that most web shops actually don´t use that feature.

As to how to be sucessfull selling the products from a web store, I am convinced that the “cool” look and the great “effects” that Magento offer, is a big advantage for most shopowners.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MunchyMonster

Total Posts:  71
New Hampshire, USA

I think you are partly right and partly wrong.  While some of the features that Magento is missing are quite simple and you would have thought “easy” to implement, we all know that sometimes the “easy” stuff is the hardest to actually get right.  The Magento team has provided a nice base.  Alot of stores will find it quite useful and will launch with it.  If you are serving a customer base and you find a fit with your customer’s needs and Magento feel free to use it.  But if it is missing something or you are uncomfortable with it lacking certain features, you’ve got to make a choice.  Do you buckle down and customize Magento (because you can) and pass that expense on to your customer?  Or do you find another package that is closer to what the customer needs and work with that? 

For me (a software engineer) the ability to bend spindle and mutilate Magento is a HUGE plus.  Sure it is missing a few of the nice “easy” features that I expect to have available in my cart, but I don’t plan on deploying this for at least a few months.  I can wait for another release from Magento.  I can take the time to code customized modules to support what I need to do.  I have choices and time, and that is what is important to me.

If you can’t or won’t make the customizations and/or you don’t have the time to wait for a new drop, them you certainly need to consider another product.  But I’ve got time and time is a magical thing.

MunchyMonster

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

@MunchyMonster: I fully agree with you.

What I was trying to point out was that we all can make a list of what we would like - and that list is going to be very long - , and hopefully Magento will make much of it (or other software engineers like you can implement it). But as sophisticated software has come to be today, it would not be fair to expect everything to be ready from day one.

And the important thing, today, right now, just a month after the first release, a huge number of customers will be able to use Magento Commerce for their web shop and be very happy with it.

For me, a end user upgrading from another commerce product, Magneto is pure magic and I am enthusiastic!  wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Conyx Group

Total Posts:  66

@norbolig: You state “I am convinced that the “cool” look and the great “effects” that Magento offer, is a big advantage for most shopowners. “ I believe Its not, remember ecommerce is a business and as web developers we have to provide “simple business solution” to shop owners. When I explain to my customer(s) in order from them to add a size you have to create 10 or more of the same products. They look at me funny, like im joking or something. In business time is everything, the more time you spend inputting products the more time you waste and less money you convert.

In General: Time management is important, and passing on unnecessary expenses on to my customers will have an impact on converting/sealing more deals (I will lose “some” deals) due to the price increase and I would not be able to provide competitive prices. I have a simple business model, provide “simple” solution for store owners, at affordable prices, and delivered FAST! But i noticed it takes me longer to develop “simple” shops through the current magento version (nvm complex) then I normally do. Example: 2 days longer per project, time frame for average project is 7 days now it take me about 9 days, so basically its like losing 1 project per month = $4000 X 12 months = $48,000 i’ll be losing per year If Magento doesnt come up with the simple solution to most of the concerns I see on these forums in the next release. I understand its 1.0 so it lacks functions, im willing to wait because I believe Magento has great potential, but if the Magento wants more “web” firm partnerships, they have to go back to the drawing board. 

I disagree to think that some of these “simple” features magento couldn’t implement because they were too “hard”, they did a great job developing a “base” with other advanced features, so i guess my question was and is why were the simplest and more efficient functions avoided?

Again, im not bashing Magento, I have high hopes for them and im planning to become a “Partner” (but not just yet...).

@MunchyMonster, I agree the current platform is GREAT for shopowners that have lots of time to figure things out, play around with it and so on. BUT for business owners (media firms), its not ALL there yet...but i have hope it will smile

Remember im just discussing not bashing!

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

@Conyx Group: good points. I understand your view and agree with your business concerns. All input is good, as it makes it easier to go in the right direction.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community