Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Product Availability: How do I add custom options - and - how do I use % values for product prices

Whitewolf

Total Posts:  29
New Brunswick, Canada

Hi guys, I think I posted these questions in the wrong section, so I"ll move them here…

I would like to add custom options to Product Availability such as “Please call” and “On order” .

Also, I would like to know how to use a % percent value for the product price instead of a set number.. 

Because lets say for example I have a cost price of $30.00 and my markup rate is 35% for that specific item, i want the product price to be automatically calculated.  I am going to have approximately 7200+ items in the database, and I only want to import my products cost price from my suppliers price list. I would take me forever to update the selling prices of all those items.

Does anyone know how to do these things?

Thanks,

Shaun

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

How are you going to import costs?
Using manual file upload? automated file upload? PHP API?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Whitewolf

New Brunswick, Canada

I’m going to import the cost field into the database with another php script that I have..  My price list is in excel format.  It will just match up the sku’s and replace the new cost price values..

Do you know how to do any of the things that I mentioned above?

Shaun

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Los Angeles

you import php script can’t calculate the price by $cost*1.35 and import it as price together with cost?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Whitewolf

New Brunswick, Canada

it could i guess, but all of my prices are sent to me by my suppliers in excel format..  I’m selling computer products. So for many different categories of items, I have different percent values for the markup price. Lets say for example Hard drives is 25% markup…

I have 5 suppliers..  It will take a lot of work to go through all of the price lists to add a new column for “price” and have it calculate all the prices over to the net column.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Los Angeles

Because lets say for example I have a cost price of $30.00 and my markup rate is 35% for that specific item, i want the product price to be automatically calculated.

I have 5 suppliers..  It will take a lot of work to go through all of the price lists to add a new column for “price” and have it calculate all the prices over to the net column.

I’m confused, do you have a column in your datasheet for markup percentage for each product?
How did you plan to do price calculation automatic?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Whitewolf

New Brunswick, Canada

Ok I’ll explain it better.

In the pricelist that I get from my supplier, it contains many columns..  One for sku, cost price, description, manufacturer, stock, etc…

What i’m going to do is delete all of the extra fields so I only have 2 columns..  Sku and Cost Price.  I will then do the same with the price lists that I get from my other suppliers, delete all the extra columns, then copy and paste their product list in the same list from my first supplier..  I’ll keep doing the same with all my prices lists.

So in the end, I’ll just have 1 excel file with 2 columns, Sku and Price, and all the items from all suppliers will be in this file.

Then I"ll just take the script that I have to use this file, and update the cost price fields in the database.  That’s all I want to do.

I don’t want to have to go into my price list file, add another column called “price” then put in the formulas to calculate the proper percentage markups. There’s too many categories of items that all have different markup rates. 

Do you understand what I mean now?

Thanks,

Shaun

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Los Angeles

Nope.

Then I"ll just take the script that I have to use this file, and update the cost price fields in the database.  That’s all I want to do.

How Magento will know markup percentage for each product to calculate the price from cost?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Whitewolf

New Brunswick, Canada

You seriously don’t understand what I mean??

Well you know what an excel spreadsheet looks like right..  columns and rows.

In my supplier’s price list that they send me , I have many columns..  For prices, stock, description, specs, etc…

I am going to delete the columns I don’t need.  All I will end up with is 2 columns, one to hold the supplier sku numbers , and the other column to hold the prices.  That’s it… Two columns…

I’m going to import those two columns into the database by using the script that I have.  The script will match up the sku numbers, and then dump in the new values for the cost price.....

I don’t know how else to explain it..

That’s where the idea comes in why I want to be able to put in a percent value for the product price when adding a product.  My markup rates will stay the same.

Example:
1) Hard drives = 25%
2) Monitors = 20%
3) Memory = 15%

These rates will not change.  The price list i get from my suppllier has EVERYTHING in one spreadsheet.. So it might have like 3000 rows.. . I don’t want to have to go and filter through those rows and manually add my percentage markups and have it calculate that into a new column.  It will take too much time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nafnaf1000

Total Posts:  209

@Whitewolf

In order to do this you will have to add an Attribute to each Category called “markup” and and then right a script to apply that to each item in that Category.... I think that would be the way to do it if you can not just to in in excel with would be the best way.

The one problem, I do not think that you can add an Attribute to a Category (cant work out why not....) so, if you would that one out please let us know.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Whitewolf

New Brunswick, Canada

hi nafnaf, I wasn’t looking to add this to a category, but rather to each product.  I did try making a new attribute for the product itself, but when I enter in a percent value, with the percent sign, nothing gets saved. It won’t except the stupid % symbol. 

I guess I could try and figure out how to write a peice of code that would calculate the numbers I need, and then display that amount instead of the “price” amount, but I would have to change that in all of the pages that display the item price in the front end, and in the admin area as I’m going to be using this script to bill out customers manually..

So when I’m billing them out, and adding products to their orders, I need to see the real selling price.

Shaun

Magento Community
Magento Community

nafnaf1000

Total Posts:  209

not the best ting you want to do.......miss one ref somewhere and you could have problems..
I still dont get why you dont want to do it in excel, it shound not take long with the power of copy, past, drag and drop...smile

think of a better way,.,,

Magento Community
Magento Community

Whitewolf

New Brunswick, Canada

I’m doing it in excel because my supplier send me my price lists in excel.  All together I will have about 7000+ products..  I don’t get what you mean by copy and paste.... I’m not going to copy and paste the new cost price for every single item once a week after I have the products in the database.

Does nobody know how to program the small change to the product price .  I just want the product price box to be able to accept percent values (35%) and to display the selling price on the page, I just wan it to have some code that will do this ---> cost price * product price = _________

I don’t even know the basics when it comes to php, so that’s why I"m asking for help on this..

And nothing can go wrong when i’m going to be importing the new product costs once a week because the script I have matches the sku numbers and only updates the prices for those specifc sku’s.. jI’m not updating anything else for the products except for that one field.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Zer0

Total Posts:  52
Prague / Czech Republic

Can someone help with that Product Availability such as “Please call” and “On order”? I am interested in it too.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

Total Posts:  308

very interested in the product availbility. “On Order” - “Ring For Availability” etc etc adding custom comments would be ideal!

Magento Community
Magento Community

XWare

Total Posts:  8

I am also looking for a way to have the products price automatically calculated from the products cost or even any other attribute.

Example:  Product_Price = (Product_Cost * 1.2) + (Product_Weight * 30) + 200

I can do this all in a MS Access database and then exporting the products and their prices to Magento, but its just extra steps that take time and would be great if one can do it straight in Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community