Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Breadcrumbs No URL link

mk384

Total Posts:  60

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am currently working on new custom theme i purchased,

1 of the issues i can not solve is the breadcrumbs that show as your moving through the site, or product pages are static i.e. they have no url or link - they can not be clicked?

I have tried looking for answers on this for 2 days now but can only find information on how to display the breadcrumbs if they are not showing, which is not my issue, as in they are showing correctly but just not useuable.

using magento 1.8 and theme is also for magento 1.7 + 1.8

would really appreciate if anyone can help

Kind Regards

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Siggi_Schmitz
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  811

When you go in a category and then in a product...then the breadcrumb for the category has to be clickable.

When not: The template file is app/design/frontend/base/default/template/page/html/breadcrumbs.phtml

Maybe you have to replace base/default to yourpacke/yourtheme to find the correct file.

In this file is the logic if the breadcrumb is a link or not.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TutorialMagento

Total Posts:  133

Hi,
You should open the app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/Helper/Data.php file and find the following string there:

'link' => $this->_isCategoryLink($categoryId) ? $categories[$categoryId]->getUrl() : ''
Change it to
'link' => $categories[$categoryId]->getUrl()
That’s all smile Don’t forget to backup your files beforehand!

Magento Community
Magento Community

mk384

Thank you for the replies.

I tired the code change but it doesnt resolve the issue.

I asked the original theme developer and they said the links are suppose to be static but can be changed to dynamic - however he mentioned he was just designer and didnt know how to do it.

Any other suggestions please?

Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

mk384

Anybody help me on this please?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jessiavi

Total Posts:  2

Hi

An easy way to enable breadcrumbs is by adding a breadcrumbs.phtml file to your theme/template/page/html directory (essentially a theme-specific override of,

design/frontend/base/default/page/html/breadcrumbs.phtml) and add the following line to the beginning of the breadcrumbs.phtml file:
<?php $this->getBreadcrumbPath(); ?>

This evokes the getBreadcrumbPath method in code/core/Mage/Catalog/Helper/Data.php, which generates a breadcrumb and assigns it to the protected $_crumbs variable (which the breadcrumbs.phtml file inherits from: see code/core/Mage/Catalog/Block/Breadcrumbs.php).

Hope this helps smile

Many Thanks

Jessi
(Support Lead - FMEExtensions)

Magento Community
Magento Community

mk384

thank you for your reply

I will try it and let you know

Much Appreciated