Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Why is it so hard to edit the footer links in the modern theme? 

jstein

Total Posts:  44

I need to add a privacy policy and terms and conditions link in the footer and I’m having such a hard time figuring this out. It seems that the static block ‘footer_links’ no longer works with the modern theme and instead is being added on the fly from the xml files in the layout folder.
I’ve already created the pages in the CMS > Static Blocks and just need someone to direct me.

From what I’ve learned so far i see that ‘Search Terms’ & ‘Advanced Search’ is pulled through catalogsearch.xml, the ‘Contact Us’ from contacts.xml, and ‘Site Map’ from catalog.xml. I’m no programmer so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Hoodgrown

Total Posts:  63

come on… someone has to know this. The author? Developers? Anyone? Oscommerce is nowhere near as good as Magento… but damn.. it was a lot easier to modify (though somewhat time consuming).

Where are the php people?

lol

Magento Community
Magento Community

kandip

Total Posts:  38

why dont u try editing footer link located here…

(root_directory)/app/design/frontend/default/modern/template/page/html/footer.phtml

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Never look at the Modern theme but I think the code for the footer link is the same as the Default Theme.

Anyway, try something like this

1) Create a ‘CMS Static Block’, name it
- Block Title: Footer Links
- Identifier : footer_links
- Content (html code like so)

<ul class="ftr_box">
<li><a href="{{store url=""}}gov-corporate-sales">Government & Corporate Sales</a></li>
<li ><a href="{{store url=""}}privacy-policy">Privacy Policy</a></li>
<li><a href="{{store url=""}}return-policy">Return Policy</a></li>
<li><a href="{{store url=""}}shipping-and-delivery-info">Shipping & Delivery Info</a></li>
</ul>

Once it’s done, go to ‘CMS > Manage Page’, Add new page and enter your page content (privacy policy for example) directly in to the content area. Note that the ’SEF URL Identifie‘ should match the ‘<li ><a href="{{store url=""}}privacy-policy”>Privacy Policy</a></li>’ in your footer_links static block.

In the ‘Custom Design’ section, select your desired Layout (template)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hoodgrown

@chinesedream

That’s just it… it’s not working like it’s supposed to in the modern theme....

this is what i did:

1) Create a ‘CMS Static Block’, name it
- Block Title: Footer Links
- Identifier : footer_links
- Content

<ul class="ftr_box">
<li ><a href="{{store url=""}}about-ramco-worldwide">About Ramco Worldwide</a></li>
<li><a href="{{store url=""}}customer-service">Customer Service</a></li>
</ul>

Manage Page’, Add new page and enter your page content (privacy policy for example) directly in to the content area. I created the following pages:

about-ramco-worldwide
customer-service

and then I

In the ‘Custom Design’ section, I selected (modern)

no dice!… no change!

@kandip

“why dont u try editing footer link located here…

(root_directory)/app/design/frontend/default/modern/template/page/html/footer.phtml “

I’m not sure what code to put there? How would I write it?

I tried

<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('customer-service'?>

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hoodgrown

anyone… anyone…

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

I just downloaded the Modern Theme so that I can point your to the right direction.

In the page/template/footer_links.phtml

add these directly in the <ul>...</ul>if you want them show in the same line as shown in modern theme
<li><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('about-ramco-worldwide')?>"><?php echo $this->__('About Ramco Worldwide') ?></a></li>
<li><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('customer-service')?>"><?php echo $this->__('Customer Service') ?></a></li>

otherwise create a new set of <ul>...</ul> right after the first set.
<ul> <li><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('about-ramco-worldwide')?>"><?php echo $this->__('About Ramco Worldwide') ?></a></li>
<li><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('customer-service')?>"><?php echo $this->__('Customer Service') ?></a></li>
</ul>

Once it’s done, go to ‘CMS > Manage Page’, Add new page and enter your page content (About Ramco Worldwid) directly in to the content area. Note that the ’SEF URL Identifie‘ should match the ‘<a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('about-ramco-worldwide')?>">.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hoodgrown

thanks.. i’m going to try it and get back to you…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Roy Andre

Total Posts:  209

That works just fine Hoodgrown, I can guarantee.

I have also done it this way, although I removed the whole PHP-code in the footer_links.html and just added the <li>’s that I needed and created static CMS-pages for each of them.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hoodgrown

works perfectly in the “footer” but when I add it to the header as well.. i get the SID information in the url…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Unirgy
Guru

Total Posts:  478

@Hoodgrown: i saw it in some post that SID is shown in links on page that have different domain from the current one, so the session won’t be lost.

See if somehow a wrong domain got in there rasberry

Magento Community
Magento Community

Etasker

Total Posts:  54
Denmark

Remember to turn off the cache wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

If you want to use the ‘footer_links’ static block, add the following anywhere in
app/design/frontend/default/modern/template/page/html/footer.phtml

<?php echo $this->getLayout()->createBlock('cms/block')->setBlockId('footer_links')->toHtml() ?>

If you would like to use the static block for all of your footer links and not use the ones from the xml files at all, then delete or comment out the following line in the same file:

<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('footer_links'?>

Magento Community
Magento Community

etho201

Total Posts:  85
Summerville, SC

Thank you chinesedream and i960. One more thing to add… In order to get everything matching the other links exactly, be sure to add the proper class in the <ul> tag.

Example: Open your footer_links cms static page,
<ul class="footer-links”>

Magento Community
Magento Community

hyteckit

Total Posts:  166
Los Angeles, CA

Yeah, the modern theme is a weird little sucker.

It calls the method getLinks().  It allows for links to be dynamic, so you can show whatever you want depending on the page and whatever function is turned on, instead of a standard static footer.

Just look through the xml files under the layout directory.

Do a batch search for:

<action method="addLink"

and

reference name="footer_links"

You’ll get all the xml files that containing that “addLink” method.  Modify as you please.

Or you can just use a static footer as some have suggested.

Magento Community
Magento Community

XjSv

Total Posts:  38
Ridgewood, NY

I tried that (red) the links r fine functional but i get like 3-4 rows of the same links repeating themselfs. i dunno whats goin on.
i also tried the second one (green) that works fine but i just need to add the “Example | Example” that line in the middle can anyone tell me how i tried the manual “|” but it looks bluury and low quality compared to the ones above. THANKX in advance

chinesedream - 26 May 2008 12:18 AM

I just downloaded the Modern Theme so that I can point your to the right direction.

In the page/template/footer_links.phtml

add these directly in the <ul>...</ul>if you want them show in the same line as shown in modern theme
<li><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('about-ramco-worldwide')?>"><?php echo $this->__('About Ramco Worldwide') ?></a></li>

otherwise create a new set of <ul>...</ul> right after the first set.
<ul> <li><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('about-ramco-worldwide')?>"><?php echo $this->__('About Ramco Worldwide') ?></a></li>
</ul>

Once it’s done, go to ‘CMS > Manage Page’, Add new page and enter your page content (About Ramco Worldwid) directly in to the content area. Note that the ’SEF URL Identifie‘ should match the ‘<a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('about-ramco-worldwide')?>">.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2