Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Nothing appears on my homepage

khoidroid

Total Posts:  1

after adding products in categories as well as building static blocks for the category, nothing appears on my homepage. Any recommendations or Help?

http://www.traininggeardepot.com/

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

MagentoDaily

Total Posts:  22

Are you sure that the categories you’ve added are subcategories of the Default category?

Magento Community
Magento Community

bitflip

Total Posts:  149
UK

How have you configured your Categories in Catalog -> Manage Categories?

Two possible causes that spring to mind:

You must have a root category ("Default Category” in this example).  The “Default Category” isn’t shown on the front page and is used as a placeholder for the real categories.  All your categories should be a sub-category to the root.  You can then add further sub-categories if required. In my example I’ve created a test category called “General” as a sub-category to “Default Category”.  See the attached “Categories.png” image as an example. On my front page I see “General” (see “Home_page_Demo_Store.png” attached).

If you’ve created your categories all as root categories then this won’t work and will show nothing on your front store.  You can drag the categories into your root category so there’s no need to delete and recreate them.

If you’ve got the heirachy of the Categories correct, make sure the categories themselves are Enabled (default = No).  Select your category and verify that “Is Active” is set to “Yes” under the “General Information” tab.

Have a look at http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/tutorial-creating-and-managing-categories

HTH

Image Attachments
Home_page_Demo_Store.pngCategories.png

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community