Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Small Change to One Store

a1anm
Guru

Total Posts:  318

I have a store which is running 4 different languages.  Each language is using the same theme.

If I want to make a small design change to one of the languages how would I do this without affecting the others?

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

You need to duplicate your theme to the second store you want to have design change.

Example, if the change only apply to CSS and images, you skin folder will have

default/your-main-custom-theme
default/your-main-custom-theme/css/
default/your-main-custom-theme/images/

second store (duplicated from your-main-custom-theme. The CSS and images folder should contain ONLY the files for the second store/
default/your-second-store
default/your-second-store/css/
default/your-second-store/images/

Suppose you only need one image change for second store, say, logo.png, then ‘logo.png’ is the only image file that goes into the “images” folder.

default/your-second-store/images/logo.png

Do similar directory structure for “design/frontend/default/your-main-custom-theme”

default/your-second-store
default/your-second-store/layout/
default/your-second-store/template/

You also need to setup the “your-second-store’ theme in “system/configuration/Design/Themes” under your “second-store” config, NOT the Default Config.

Magento Community
Magento Community

a1anm
Guru

Total Posts:  318

Thanks!  That worked perfectly.

What if I want to change (translate) a piece of text in one of the template files?  Do I use the same method ie. copy the file to the new theme and edit the text?

The problem with this is that I would have multiple versions of the same file so if I wanted to make a global change I’d have to edit each one.  Is there a better way of translating text?  I have installed the language pack which changes default text but not custom text I’ve added to the templtae files.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

I haven’t done intensive test on translation and none of the Magento projects I’d had worked oon require multi-language, but the first place I would look into is using “translate.csv”, not sure how this would play out for product description though. Based on my very recent test, I think the only way to do it is per store, per product basis from product page by selecting the correct store; this applies to categories too.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Sorry, duplication again!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community