Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
Additions to checkout page (order comments & agreement on sales terms)

jsperri

Total Posts:  126
Fistufle

I am thinking about 2 features that would be great to have on the checkout page, as they are found on many ecommerce sites:

* a comment field related to the current order in the one page checkout
This is rather useful for the customer to leave additional contact information or delivery instructions for the order.
That would fit well on step 6 (Order review) on the onepage checkout.

* have a checkbox for agreement on sales terms & conditions
The checkbox needs to be checked for the order to be saved and processed.

The second point is probably easy to implement at the template level with some custom javascript code, but first point would probably need
some slight changes in the database, that would be nice to have by default on Magento distribution.

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

We will add this down the road.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

Andrey666

Total Posts:  58

what does it mean down the road? it has been over six months since your reply and its not even listed in the roadmap :( dont take me wrong magento is great concept but it has so many problems it cant be used in a real world yet :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

roco

Total Posts:  191

Hey Yoav is this in release 1.1?

Magento Community
Magento Community

stevethomas

Total Posts:  11

It is essential for us that this feature (comment field) is available, any news on when?
Anyone written an adaptation?

Magento Community
Magento Community

stefan08

Total Posts:  1

I managed to add a comment-Field <textarea name="comment"></textarea> in termsandconditions/onepage/review.phtml (german version) at the last step of checkout.

Created a new transactional email based on new_order.html in order to pass the Variable {{var comment}}

(We don´t need to save the variable in the database, as long as it appears in the order Email.)

What steps have to be configured to pass the variable?? Has anybody a simple solution?

Also been through this thread:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/1104/P30/

we are running Magento Version 1.1.6.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Albert

Total Posts:  50

Would also be interested on this.

Albert

Magento Community
Magento Community

tjscgroup

Total Posts:  146
United Kingdom

YoavKutner - 27 September 2007 01:01 PM

We will add this down the road.

Thanks

yoav

We are obviously driving along a very long road wink

Any further clues as to when we are likely to see this functionality?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Albert

I have release 1.1.7 and I found the solution. I don’t know if this works also in previous versions.

In Admin there is under “Product Information” --> “Custom Options” the possibility to create for the product detail page a field. Like text field, text area. You can even create select fields like dropdown. In my case I would use the text area field for the comment and, and this is for me very important, a dropdown field where I add all the different sizes for my shoes. So the customer can give me a comment and choose the proper shoe size. By doing this I don’t have to create simple products for every shoe size and at the end a configurable product.

Hope this helps.

Albert

Magento Community
Magento Community

Albert

I know the above solution is not the optimal, because the customer has to give a comment AT THE BEGINNING of the checkout process. At this stage he probably does not know for sure if she/he is going to buy the product. So, the best solution would be when the comment field is added AT THE END of the checkout process.

Anyway that’s a start. And the mentioned dropdown possibility does really help me. And perhaps with the next release comes the necessary solution. But then I would have to update all of my custom options.  confused

Albert

Magento Community
Magento Community

Albert

I tried to find out all the possibilities with this “Custom Options”. One thing I’m not clear with:

What can the field “SKU” be used for when you choose the text area field? I’m also not sure in which circumstances the “Price” field is used with the area field. You can here either add or subtract to the original price. When the customer clicks the basket button the price is updated. Why don’t you give the customer the right price from the beginning on?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Albert

Magento Community
Magento Community

saileruk

Total Posts:  25

Albert - 26 November 2008 05:18 AM

I tried to find out all the possibilities with this “Custom Options”. One thing I’m not clear with:

What can the field “SKU” be used for when you choose the text area field? I’m also not sure in which circumstances the “Price” field is used with the area field. You can here either add or subtract to the original price. When the customer clicks the basket button the price is updated. Why don’t you give the customer the right price from the beginning on?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Albert

Hi Albert,

for custom options, in the sku box, you can give each option another sku number, finally customer will get a sku number which like this
123-abc(123 is the sku of your product, abc is the sku for the option they choosed).

in price box after each option, you can add a fee which you wanna add or deduct from the original price.
ie, the product price is £10, if you put 2.00 after one option, customer will pay £12 when they checkout. if you put -2.00, customer will pay £8 in the end. normally, you could just put 0 in those price box, cause the price will be same no matter what option they choose.

cheers

Mark

Magento Community
Magento Community

Albert

Yes, I know this. But I wanted to know why all this IN CONNECTION WITH THE TEXT AREA FIELD. In my case I only wanted to add a text area field. In this case I don’t need another SKU and price field. But when I add something in the price field this price text is added to the title of the text field. And when the customer continues shopping, only then the price changes, it’s not changed from the beginning of the purchase.

Albert

Magento Community
Magento Community

tomislavbilic

Total Posts:  69
Osijek, Croatia

Hey guys,

So, did anybody found a way that an user enters comment during checkout?

Many thans

Magento Community
Magento Community

joseph.an

Total Posts:  9

Hello,

I have read all your replies.. Have any method is available now for adding comment box to the checkout section ? I am planning to add this to review order page of the checkout section..

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Joseph..

Magento Community
Magento Community

HumanBeing

Total Posts:  21

The extra information I needed during checkout was a credit card customer service phone number, which I use to validate alternate shipping addresses.  In my case, I just modified some core files to change Fax (which I don’t use) to the CC customer service phone number and make it a mandatory field.  This isn’t ideal, and I’ll need to carefully track changes to the core, but at least it doesn’t involve schema changes.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3