Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Adding attributes to existing products

BridgeShop

Total Posts:  6

Hi,
I’m in the processing of transporting my e-store to Magento and imported about 800 products. However, I can’t seem to work out how to assign attributes to existing products, only to those I am creating on the fly.

Can anyone offer a solution please?

thanks.

nick

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

BullfrogChamps

Total Posts:  31
Melbourne, Australia

I don’t quite understand your problem.

Could you tell me what attributes you are trying to set, and how you are trying to set them?

Jeremy.

Magento Community
Magento Community

BridgeShop

Total Posts:  6

I have a book store with say 800 books.

Rather than key in 800 titles I imported the product data using the import products facility.

I want to create attributes on
eg subject and level of difficulty.

I have created these attributes but there is no facility when you edit a pre-existing product to assign atributes. Or at least not that I haev found.

nick

Magento Community
Magento Community

BullfrogChamps

Total Posts:  31
Melbourne, Australia

I seem to recall having a similar problem.  I found that when I added a product attribute _after_ the product, the product didn’t know about the attribute.  Try going to the relevant catalog_product_entity_<type> table in the database and adding in a row for each product for each attribute.  Also make sure that you have added the attribute to the correct attribute set, and group within that set.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community