Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Normal server requirement per X number of users? 

iemfi

Total Posts:  1

Recently I’ve had problems with the hostgator VPS overloading from the load from my magento store. I was wondering what the normal server requirements are for the average store. It would really help me to find out if the number of users is causing the problem or if it’s an inefficient extension/script.

The store has around 600 products, 3300 unique visitors and 300000 hits a day.  What sort of hosting plan should I be looking for? Is there anyway to diagnose if magento is running properly and not broken in some way? Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

Well based on your traffic requirement you may want to consider going with a dedicated server.
Be sure to look for a fully managed dedicated server if you are not familiar on how to manage a server.

Magento Community
Magento Community

WebhostUK LTD

Total Posts:  163
UK

iemfi - 08 January 2010 09:26 PM

Recently I’ve had problems with the hostgator VPS overloading from the load from my magento store. I was wondering what the normal server requirements are for the average store. It would really help me to find out if the number of users is causing the problem or if it’s an inefficient extension/script.

The store has around 600 products, 3300 unique visitors and 300000 hits a day.  What sort of hosting plan should I be looking for? Is there anyway to diagnose if magento is running properly and not broken in some way? Thanks.

Looking at your requirement I feel a small dedicated server is much better for you than going for VPS server.

VPS server is still like a shared server..Best is to go for Dedicated server if you are really serious about your website and sale.

The more the traffic the more will be your sale..so have good hardware server.

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Of course, it’s easy for hosts to say you need a dedicated server so listen to my advice, I’m not a host.

Get a dedicated server.

I have barely half you traffic, on an entry level dedicated server (Dual core, 2GB RAM) in a high-end datacentre and my machine can be bogged down at times when a rogue bot or script kiddie turns up the requests. That’s with using a CDN etc.

With your expected traffic, I wouldn’t get anything less than 4GB RAM and a fast processor. Definitely not a VPS.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community