Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Catalog Request Form with MailChimp integration

Northern Voyageur

Total Posts:  50
Duluth, MN

I’ve put together a simple catalog request form that get’s stored in the DB. This allows a customer to fill out a form, then hit submit. There is also the ability to integrate with MailChimp. There is a an admin section that allows you to download the new catalog requests into a CSV file. You can add/edit/delete requests right in the admin as well. A simple module that I put together with no strings attached or any support assumed.

The MailChimp integration needs the MailChimp module provided by ebizmarts. You can get around this requirement with a few adjustments to app/code/local/Aero/Catalogrequest/controllers/IndexController.php, it should fail gracefully if the MC module is not present.

To install just load the gzip file to your root Magento directory and unzip.
http://www.shanestillwell.com/sites/shanestillwell.com/files/magento/Aero_Catalogrequest.tar.gz

You’ll want to add this to your CSS to make the form look nice.

/* Catalog Request page */
#catalogrequest {}
#catalogrequest .input-box { float: left; margin-right: 20px; margin-bottom: 5px;}
#catalogrequest label { display: block; font-weight: bold; }
#catalogrequest li { clear:both; margin-bottom: 20px}
Image Attachments
Screen shot 2010-01-07 at 6.25.03 PM.png

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

webr

Total Posts:  9

Thank you so much! Exactly what I was looking for and works perfectly

Magento Community
Magento Community

Northern Voyageur

Total Posts:  50
Duluth, MN

Glad I could be of help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

undecided

Total Posts:  21

Hello,

thanks a lot for this module - just what I\’m looking for. Unfortunately I cant get the form to include in a cms page - I guess I\’m wrong somewhere, but can\’t figure out where…
I tried including it in a cms page like this:
{{block type=\"catalogrequest/catalog\" template=\"catalogrequest/catalogrequest.phtml\"}}
Could you point me into the right direction?
Thanks alot.
Marcus

PS: I can see the module in the backend and I run Magento 1.4.1

Magento Community
Magento Community

undecided

Sorry, solved it - my mistake - properly unzipping helps - now works fine with the statement I posted grin
Thanks a lot!

Magento Community
Magento Community

undecided

Hi,

me again. Everything seems to work, but after filling out the form and sending it I just get returned to the form all empty and nothing is saved in the database/backend.
Do I have to set anything else to make this work? Would greatly appreciate your help!
I don’t use mailchimp if that’s of any importance…

Thanks
Marcus

Magento Community
Magento Community

undecided

Answering myself

I tried to include the form into a cms page - this failed as I passed by the IndexController setting the form URL.
Is there a way to include the form into a cms page?

Cheerio
Marcus

Magento Community
Magento Community

undecided

Hi,

another question from me grin

I tried to give the access rights to other user groups than administrators - but after saving the check box is empty again. So it looks as if it cannot be granted access to other user groups through the admin. The xml looks good as far as I can tell - any idea what the reason could be?

Regards,
Marcus

Magento Community
Magento Community

mpaepper

Total Posts:  8

undecided - 13 October 2010 06:53 AM

Hi,

another question from me grin

I tried to give the access rights to other user groups than administrators - but after saving the check box is empty again. So it looks as if it cannot be granted access to other user groups through the admin. The xml looks good as far as I can tell - any idea what the reason could be?

Regards,
Marcus

This is due to the config.xml in the mentioned module. I fixed this by just exchanging (in app/code/local/Aero/Catalogrequest/etc/config.xml) everything in

<acl>
</
acl>

with

<acl>
                <
resources>
                        <
admin>
                                <
children>
                                   <
customer>
                                     <
children>
                                        <
catalogrequest module="catalogrequest">
                                                <
title>Catalogrequest Module</title>
                                                <
sort_order>10</sort_order>
                                        </
catalogrequest>
                                     </
children>
                                   </
customer>
                                </
children>
                        </
admin>
                </
resources>
        </
acl>

Afterwards, it is working.

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

dbck

Total Posts:  6

I downloaded your files and uploaded to my server. I then signed up for MailChimp and got that module working in Magento. I see the drop down under Customers for the Catalog requests. But I\’m not sure how to get the form to appear on my site. I tried using this from a previous commenter: {{block type=\"catalogrequest/catalog\" template=\"catalogrequest/catalogrequest.phtml\"}} but that didn’t do it. I removed the backslashes, still nothing.
So I thought maybe I didn’t have the front end files in the right spot. I then copied the design files to my template’s layout and template folders. Maybe I still don’t have the files in the right spot?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community