Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Cannot create a Catalog Price Rule using a Promo Code? 

quasidynamic

Total Posts:  7

It seems it is not possible to create a Catalog Price Rule that is triggered by a promo code. Only Shopping Cart Rules can use promo codes. Which makes theoretical sense. However it seems i am trying to achieve something common, which i cannot…

Why this is a problem:

Say you want to subtract $10 from a particular product for each of the quantity added. So i add 4 of a $100 product, totaling $400. I want to be able to enter a promo code that would subtract $10 from EACH of those, totaling $360, WITHOUT discounting based on other products in the cart.

What I’ve tried:

1. ATTEMPT: Set up a shopping cart rule to subtract $10 PER ITEM based on a promo code.
PROBLEM: This subtracts $10 from ALL items, not just the item you want to discount with the promo code.

2.  ATTEMPT: Set up a Catalog Price Rule to subtract the $10.
PROBLEM: It subtracts WITHOUT using a discount code.

It seems somewhere in between is the solution, but simpler yet is just allowing a promo code to trigger a Catalog Price Rule. Possible? Any hacks done? am i just missing something?

An alternative would be to tell the shopping cart rule to discount BASED on the number of a given product in the cart. This is also not an option.

Thanks for any assistance with this! And Magento is brilliant!!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

quasidynamic

Total Posts:  7

ah hah! i got this one figured out. Didnt notice the “Apply the rule only to cart items matching the following conditions (leave blank for all items)” under the Actions tab.

You just have to specify a SKU for the item and pair that will “Fixed Amount Discount” and viola! It applies the discount based on that particular product qty.

Perfect!!!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community