Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Invoices

whoscart

Total Posts:  120

What is the rationale behind invoicing an order? I’ve read numerous posts on here and don’t quite understand it. I do understand the relative need for it when shipping multiple shipments for the same order whereby you would invoice what you can ship now and repeat the invoicing procedure until the whole order is paid and shipped.

But what would be the rationale behind invoicing an order that could be shipped out in 1 shipment? Are there any benefits to doing so?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_(business)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invoice

It is a bad idea to have special cases in accounting.
Especially when you have convenience feature of automatic shipment creation during invoicing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

whoscart

Total Posts:  120

So from what I understand, when I receive any order, and whether I can fulfill it in one step or multiple steps, I should create invoices for each one?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Los Angeles

You should create an invoice every time you bill a customer or charge money.

If you charge always only once right after the order was placed you can use authorize & capture option in your payment method and the invoice will be created automatically.

Later you can create multiple shipments as you fulfill the order.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Caleb

Total Posts:  11

Moshe, to make sure I understand this correctly can I use the authorize & capture option in my payment method even if I need to create multiple invoices for a single order? The reason I need to do this is that I have several warehouses and some of them only stock certain brands. I prefer the authorize and capture method because that way if the credit card is declined the customer can try another credit card during checkout reducing the amount of lost sales and communication that needs to take place.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Whitewolf

Total Posts:  29
New Brunswick, Canada

Speaking of this, I know that the system can handle account balances… Except when you get to the page where you’re “checking out” or billing the customer in the admin, how do you enter the amount that they are paying, if they aren’t paying the entire invoice at once… ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Los Angeles

@Caleb: Authorize & Capture will create an invoice for the whole order amount, if you wish to create multiple invoices, this option is not for you.

@Whitewolf: The amount to charge in invoice is calculated from items that are being invoiced plus totals adjustments (shipping, etc.)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community