Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Moving magento to another server? 

sunburst

Total Posts:  14
UK

Can anyone point to the the right direction where to find info on moving magento to another server? I’ve search this forum and knowledge based but found nothing on this topic so far. thanks,

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

Total Posts:  325
San Francisco

Hello, I just did this and it went quite smoothly, its no different than moving any domian from waht I could see, and Ihave move a million of them LOL Move the domain, dump the db, bring them both to life on the new server.

Make sure the new server has all the sysreqs,

rsync the entire domain from old server to new serevr.  If you cannot rsync or don’t know how, then resort to ftp. Make sure the owner of the site on the old server is created as a user; on the new server BEFORE rsynicing, so all ownership and permissions will be retained

rysnc requires certain flags to do this. I can provide you with the correct syntax for rsync if you wish.

Setup the domain in apache on new server,

On old server do a mysql dump of the database to a “something.sql” file, download this file to your pc,.  or rsync it to the new server.

Create a new db on the new server with same name as original db (very important) and using either mysql dump command (which will requrie uploading or rsyncing the file.sql to the new server OR use phpmyadmin-where you can point it to your pc file, import the dumped filed into the new blank database,

change dns and registrar.

ANybody of course feel free to chime in if I am overlooking something, but I think thats all I did.

Mine went without a hitch.  Thats it in a nutshell, glad to help out more if need be.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

That’s pretty much what I did - I used SSH to put the files on the new server, imported my database, and ran the install screen.  You will have to make sure you bring the product images from the media folder on the old site as well as any template changes.

Magento Community
Magento Community

elina

Total Posts:  25
Heraklion Crete

hello

i just moved my magento to another server… i put the files on the new server location and imported the database
i also edit the local.xml for the new passwd..

now i can’t see http://www.mydomain.com/magento .....[http 404 error]

.............ooh .....  ooh................

please can you explain further ::

Make sure the new server has all the sysreqs,

rsync the entire domain from old server to new serevr.  If you cannot rsync or don’t know how, then resort to ftp. Make sure the owner of the site on the old server is created as a user; on the new server BEFORE rsynicing, so all ownership and permissions will be retained

and what is the install screen that i have to run???????

Magento Community
Magento Community

elina

Total Posts:  25
Heraklion Crete

ooh please what i’m doing wrong....

i tried also to delete the var/cashe and var/session folders…
but the 404 http error is still there.......

thanks in advance

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community