Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Varien - how could you leave out such basic and essential items? 

paul@moodandmind.com

Total Posts:  65

It’s amazing that you guys could overlook so many very obvious and essential things like:

1. Easily being able to display products from the catalog on the front/main page.

- virtually every e-commerce site has featured / sale products on the front page. Go to Amazon.com, Target.com, Walmart.com - you name it they all have products on the front page!

2. Being able to easily create linkable categories for sale/promotion items (and not have the categories appear in the Nav menu). I still haven’t figured this out. I can’t navigate to the category ID when it’s not in the default, and if I put it in the default, I can’t keep it from appearing in the Nav.

I have just spent my entire day trying to figure this out and yes I’m frustrated and wanted to say what I’m sure a lot of other people in my shoes are feeling. GRRRRRR!

These should be easy, obvious things, not pulling your hair out all day issues!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

brandondrew

Total Posts:  64

Keep in mind that Varien is giving you access to Magento for free.  Do you complain about the potatoes not having enough salt when you are eating over at a friend’s house?  Or do you just add some salt yourself?

Why not add these features yourself?  Because they are hard to add?  Okay, maybe you should be more appreciative of Varien’s hard work then.  They are open to your suggestions, but complaining implies that you think they owe you something.  I’m not sure how you could come to the conclusion that they owe you anything.

Also keep in mind that Varien didn’t chose to NEVER add these features (at least that’s very unlikely) but they have to prioritize their time and energy.  Would you prefer that they delayed releasing 1.0 until they had every feature added?  Not me!  The home page is perfectly functional as it is, even if it would be nice to have what you describe.  You can always put static blocks on the home page for now, until they have other things available (or until you create the other things!).

Magento Community
Magento Community

tomislavbilic

Total Posts:  69
Osijek, Croatia

Hehe…

Well, I’m sure the developers don’t work for free. I’m sure Varien has income to handle those. Paul is correct. Magento still misses some essential items. I don’t have trouble building those on my own, but let’s look at it this way.

I’m having a client who is interested in building the site that will be around online store and article management, so goal of the site is:
- 50% sale
- 50% article management and some community features

He would also like to have an image gallery as 1 part of the site.

I have to decide between Magento and CRE Loaded (I developed cca 10 active online stores with it with custom themes with valid HTML/CSS).

Yes, I like Magento and yes, I think it is a great potential, but I miss some important features here.
- page can not have parent page
- there is no article management to handle stuff like news
- there is no event calendar

In a couple of months I’m sure Magento will be my choice, but I’m not sure if it will be now.

So Brandon, don’t be mad if some of us state what’s important for us… smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

karynn

Total Posts:  70

Re: #1—It only took me about 10 minutes searching this forum to find a simple solution for showing products on the home page. In the admin: CMS --> Manage Pages. Select your home page, and enter the following in the Content box:

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="3" template="catalog/product/featured.phtml"}}

Where category id is for the category you want to display…

There are several threads that show various options, here is one:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/4454/

Magento Community
Magento Community

gabrielk

Total Posts:  83

I’m not sure I would be so decisive about the “failure” of a product to include features you really want, when you consider that:
- the product is open source, allowing you to make any sort of adjustments that you want, if you don’t like how a part of the shopping cart operates or feel something is missing
- a “necessary” feature for you is not necessarily necessary for someone else
- the things you’re asking for ARE possible with Magento as-is, but are just not done in the way you would like to see them (such as using a block to display products in the home page template, or filtering out the category you put “specials” into so that it doesn’t show in the main nav or sitemap)

I’m not trying to jump to Magento’s defense, I just think you may have the wrong expectations.  You may also want to try a less aggressive thread title for your suggestions, such as “Suggestion: admin gui to display products on homepage & hidden categories”

Magento Community
Magento Community

brandondrew

Total Posts:  64

Tomislav Bilic - 07 May 2008 09:46 AM

So Brandon, don’t be mad if some of us state what’s important for us… smile

I don’t think you actually read my post--or if you did, then it seems you didn’t understand it.  I’m not mad, and I don’t disagree that Magento may not be suitable for every person’s purpose right now.

But isn’t it quite rude to say “this isn’t good enough” when someone gives you something for free?  Making a suggestion is fine.  As I pointed out, they’re open to suggestions.  So whether the original poster is right in the claims he makes is irrelevant to the point I’ve made.  He might be, or he might not be--it doesn’t really matter.  But he ought to have a little more decency in the way he presents his concerns about Magento.

I’m not sure what your point is about the developers not working for free.  Of course they’re not working for free, and of course Varien is hoping to make money from this.  The basic formula was described decades ago by Stallman and it has been proven to work by lots of companies:  you give your software away for free and make money on consulting.  By writing the software, you become *the* expert, and you give value to people for free that makes your consulting valuable to them.

The fact that they’re hoping to make money in the long run doesn’t change the fact that they’ve given this to us for free, and a more polite tone would be in order.  (And a more polite tone wouldn’t hurt in general, for that matter.)

Magento Community
Magento Community

tbone007

Total Posts:  13

Hi all,

I understand both points of view here.

To begin, this is their software, it is free, they can do whatever they want, I will still sleep well tonight.

I have been looking at every piece of shopping cart software I can find and a common theme seems to be present among all of them.

They all focus on features I would call gingerbread or eye-candy before addressing more fundamental features. While the gingerbread is nice, efficiently handling order processing, while not fun, is a necessary part of an ecommerce.

One such feature I can’t seem to find, that puzzles me is batch handling of orders.

Does a store shipping 250-500 orders per day manually go in and click ship and copy and paste a tracking number into each order manually?

While ‘multiple wish lists’ and ‘highly recommended items’ are cool, shouldn’t features that enable efficient order processing take priority?

I understand that cool features mean more sales, but on the other hand, manual order manipulation costs time and money.

Is there a way to import tracking numbers and change the status to shipped for a group of orders? I am not sure.

I am ‘trying’ to be open minded here and think that batch shipping orders and importing tracking numbers is not a request limited to a few people. I think most everyone would benefit from it. Or say you prefer to not capture funds through your gateway immediately, that there would be a way to select a group of authorized transactions and capture them all in a batch, automatically changing the status of the orders? Like I said, I am trying to be open minded, maybe some people enjoy manually editing individual orders, I am not sure why they would, but hey who knows?

I am a big fan of not capturing funds until the item is on the dock waiting for pickup, but if you choose to only authorize, you are left to manually creating invoices and capturing funds by hand order by order?

Cutting 4 hours off of order processing leaves 4 hours to optimize your site for better conversion, create sales graphics, or drink some Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Like I said, this problem is seen in alot of carts, paid and otherwise. I just can’t seem to understand why? To me efficient order handling is a no brainer and a must have. Maybe it’s just me?

Godspeed!
Tbone

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  889
London, UK

Yes, I agree - Magento is free and open source. It looks amazing. The admin back-end is a breath of fresh air compared to...well, anything open-source (or closed) out there. It’s got an amazing array of features out of the box.

However, I do have to side with the initial poster here - these features, especially featuring products on the home page, really should be included in a shopping cart solution like Magento.

Lisa

smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

jtyana

Total Posts:  9

I side with Brandondrew
It’s the opening poster’s “attitude”
Suggestions are fine and well met but venting out one’s frustrations on someone giving something to you for free is arrogant
Calm down, look around and you can find the solution in 10minutes

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dustin

Total Posts:  160
Columbus, OH

paul@moodandmind.com - 28 April 2008 12:16 PM

It’s amazing that you guys could overlook so many very obvious and essential things like:

1. Easily being able to display products from the catalog on the front/main page.

- virtually every e-commerce site has featured / sale products on the front page. Go to Amazon.com, Target.com, Walmart.com - you name it they all have products on the front page!

2. Being able to easily create linkable categories for sale/promotion items (and not have the categories appear in the Nav menu). I still haven’t figured this out. I can’t navigate to the category ID when it’s not in the default, and if I put it in the default, I can’t keep it from appearing in the Nav.

I have just spent my entire day trying to figure this out and yes I’m frustrated and wanted to say what I’m sure a lot of other people in my shoes are feeling. GRRRRRR!

These should be easy, obvious things, not pulling your hair out all day issues!

I never understand posts like these. Basic and essential items?? To you maybe, but not everyone else. Every single store and product category has their own basic and essential items they need to succeed online. I run three ecommerce sites and what you state here as basic and essential I have never used. It is impossible to create the needs for every single ecommerce store out their into one single product.

Since the product is free and you are saving money on the cart costs take that money and spend it on customizations for your stores needs. This is the great thing about open source software.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Thejosh13

Total Posts:  252

I like what Tbone says.

In my opinion if no one ever uses the magento cart, than there would be no point in continuing its work, and they would shut it down, and the employees working on it would no longer be needed. In that way you could say the magento developers who are being paid owe it to us. (and no I do not put salt on my potatoes)

Varien needs us to use magento so they and their empoloyees can make money, so they owe it to us. Yes it is free to us, but its not like they are charity workers.

If I could go back and find a cart that had everything I need and save all the time and extra work, I think it would be invaluable. But I have already invest so much hoping that this features will be coming, it is frustrating I believe because it does not seem these efficency improvements are a priority. Bells and whistles are. I don’t think it is rude to say this, because us users of magento have invested a lot of our time and money into making it work for us. I think we are all in this together, we give them the feedback they need so they can make it better and profit from offering a great free shopping cart.

I could really use an article management system.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

Thejosh13, for article management, checkout the Lazzymonk Blog extension via Magento Connect. It’s right up your alley. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mike123

Total Posts:  8

Thejosh13 - 03 September 2008 03:26 PM

I like what Tbone says.

In my opinion if no one ever uses the magento cart, than there would be no point in continuing its work, and they would shut it down, and the employees working on it would no longer be needed. In that way you could say the magento developers who are being paid owe it to us. (and no I do not put salt on my potatoes)

Varien needs us to use magento so they and their empoloyees can make money, so they owe it to us. ........

I’ve read this twice and still don’t understand how the conclusion ‘they owe us’ can be made.

The developers owe us nothing. Nothing at all. If we suddenly start expecting things, and thinking we are due those things, it will be a miserable time for open-source.

Polite suggestions matter. They are important because the developers need to know what they have missed or got right or wrong. Why do they care? Because they want us to be interested in their software, not because they owe us anything. We choose if we want to be involved in an open-source project. We do that for ourselves. Surely the developers are thinking the same? In the end, what makes the difference is if what the developers offer and what we want or need, match. If they don’t match we go somewhere else. If we are unlucky we have to pay for what we want (or write it ourselves).

If I get involved in the Magento project, does that mean that I suudenly owe it to the community to do something? I don’t think so.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community