Magento Forum

Installing Magento in Windows 7 / IIS 7

caricell

Total Posts:  17

Does anyone have a step-by-step guide on installing Magento in Windows IIS7? I am installing on an in-house machine.

1) I have managed to get the Magento downloader to install the Magento files (though I suspect they did not all install, because the admin panel does not work, and the frontend cant find any of the pages except the home page)… I currently get a “Website cannot be found” when trying to browse the site, though browsing phpmyadmin in IIS on the site works fine.

2) I have installed mysql 5 and php5 and fast cgi. But I am unsure whether I am supposed to install APACHE as well????? Also, Should I be installing Isapi rewrite 3?

3) I am not sure which ISAPI filter I am supposed to be using for the site.

Anyone have any guide,s suggestions and/or pictures to get this running?

Thanks in advance!

Larry

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

rreece0113

Total Posts:  76
Oregon

Hope this helps some.

http://www.devinrolsen.com/installing-magento-commerce-and-xampp-on-windows-7/

Magento Community
Magento Community

caricell

Thanks, but this is of little use to me.

This is a tiny portion of the install. I need a step-by-step from the beginning.

Not just this…

Magento Community
Magento Community

rreece0113

Oregon

I notice you are telling us you installed MySQL and PHP5 before Apache?

If that’s the case, you have failed man.
STOP trying to install the localhost services ONE AT A TIME in windows.
This is what XAMPP is for!!

XAMPP is a complete compiled versions of Apache, MySQL, and PHP so all you have to do is install and walk away.

Now for the tutorial its self, I show the following:

How to install the CORRECT version of apache / php for windows as localhost (XAMPP) even provide a link to the XAMPP download.
How to extract the FULL magneto install and sample data .zip (from the site here) into your newly installed localhost.
How to setup your Magento DB with phpMyadmin using your newly installed localhost.
How to install Magento step by step with your newly installed localhost and created DB.

Hell I even show you common errors you run into with a freshly installed localhost and how to config your localhost to meet Magento’s requirements and proceeded to finish the magneto install.

All of this in windows 7....

Aside from now showing you the download section here in Magento’s site I think that covers it all man.

Magento Community
Magento Community

caricell

Devin:

Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately, I am still confused.

t is my understanding that if you are installing Magento in Windows 7, that you do NOT need to install Apache. Is that not correct? I have PHP installed with FASTCGI emulation, and MYSQL with magento sample data.

So you are saying that if I download and install XAMPP, that will install Apache, PHP and MYSQL all in one shot? And then I can download Magento through the Magento downloader?

Should I uninstall everything before trying to install XAMPP?

Also, where do I get XAMPP ???---the post you linked me to does not give that information, only some information about making a change to localhost…

Thanks again!
Larry

Magento Community
Magento Community

rreece0113

Oregon

Exactly what I am saying my friend.
Undo all that you have installed k, maybe even restart just to be safe.

Next, on the tutorial page I provided above, there is a link to the CORRECT XAMPP.exe version you need to properly run Magento, directly under the video. I might need to move that link above the video or up the font-size but its there.

Once you have downloaded it, simply install it, and ALL localhost services (apache, php, mysql) will be installed on your windows.
XAMPP stands for X = Linux or Windows or Mac OS X or Solaris A = Apache M = MySQL. P = PHP P = Perl.

Once you have installed XAMPP go to:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Here you will see a file called “hosts”, open it with any text editor of your choice and go to the bottom of the file and add this:
127.0.0.1 http://www.localhost.com

and save the file. (make sure you overwrite the original hosts file, an not just save it as a txt file by mistake)

Great now if you open up your browser and go to http://www.localhost.com, you should see a XAMPP greeting, choose your language and you will see all the tools such as phpMyadmin that came installed with xampp.

Next, I don’t like to install my localhost Magento copy via Magento downloader in windows, but you can try it again now that you have XAMPP installed see if it works for ya.

What I prefer to do is go to:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/download

and download the FULL Magent .zip (same for sample data, if you prefer to install it.)

From here, the video should take care of the rest showing you were to extract your zip and how to complete the Magento install.
Magneto is built to be ran on Linux, Microsoft is not Linux, therefor I don’t care how many times they tell me no need for Linux localhost in windows 7… I will always install Apache.. end of story.

I really hope this helps man!

Magento Community
Magento Community

caricell

Devin:

NOW we are talking!!

I was not even aware you had a VIDEO posted at the previous link! Now that I see it, everything is making much more sense.

I will be removing what I have installed so far, and then following your instructions, start to finish!

Is there an email address I can contact you directly at if I have any more questions, rather than coming through this forum all the time. (I always find it hard to find the posts here).

Also, are you located in the United States?

Thanks again my friend for being patient with me on this. You’d probably never believe that I do tech support for a software company! But I do!…

Larry

Magento Community
Magento Community

rreece0113

Oregon

No problem man happens to the best of us… I mean come on, its Windows :D

I wont give my email out here on this site man hehe but that tutorial link, thats my web site, the big “Hello My Name is” banner on the upper right hand corner of the site, click it to send me your email and I will shoot you back mine man.

State side my self man, I live in Portland Oregon smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

caricell

I will do that Devin...but not until after the first of the new year. (I am going out of town for a few days.) Will catch up with you then.

Thanks again and have a Happy New Year!

larry

Magento Community
Magento Community

jadav1982

Total Posts:  7

http://tarunjadav.blogspot.in/2013/09/magento-run-on-iis-and-installation.html

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community