Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
PHP4 Installation - Can’t seem to get it to work

Brandon

Total Posts:  76
Web Developer

Has anyone had any luck getting the CGI installation to work?  I’m getting the same 404 problem with my server and I know that the file is there.  Can someone verify that the CGI file is valid?  It seems like we are all having the same problem.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Web Developer

Gonna bump this thread up because I still haven’t been able to get to get PHP5 installed on my server as a cgi build.

I have uploaded it to my .../httpdocs/cgi-bin
the cgi-bin directory and the php5-cgi file both have been chmoded to 755
My .htaccess file has been uploaded and is in effect.

I have created a file: phpinfo.php, but when I try to access it, I get a 404 error.  If I remove the AddHandler command from the .htaccess file then I see the page displayed as PHP4

Are there any tricks that I can attempt?  I have played around with changing the name of my php5-cgi file trying to force a new error, but no matter what I rename the file (not updating the .htaccess rule), the error stays the same (404).  Is there a pipe log that I can look at to see any additional error messages?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

Total Posts:  125

Check to make sure that you have both php and cgi enabled in your Plesk admin, and have requested root access.  I’m assuming you’re on a MediaTemple DV server as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Web Developer

I am actually on a GoDaddy server (virtual dedicated) which runs on ancient technology.

....And I just figured it out:

I went into my error log (...<domain>/statistics/logs) and looked through.  It said that it was unable to find or “stat” /var/www/cgi5-bin.  I guess that my server settings were telling that my cgi-bin was located some place special (possibly because my domain didn’t have cgi enabled via plesk??).  Well I moved the file to that directory and presto!  Now I’m on PHP 5.2.3!

I’m pretty happy because I’ve been trying to do this before Magento was even announced.  I couldn’t have done it without the walkthrough Magento gave, so I’m very happy for that.

Thanks for the info Travis.  I’m going to try enabling CGI and see what it changes.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lkbryant

Total Posts:  60

hows the speeds on godaddy?
is the site quick for you? or somewhat sluggish?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Web Developer

I gotta go with some what sluggish.  I’ll be moving hosts in the very near future hopefully.

Magento Community
Magento Community

puleen

Total Posts:  2

Travis - 31 August 2007 09:27 PM

Yes, and for anyone on a Grid Server at Media Temple, they DO seem to be up to date with PHP.  We host one of our sites on a GS and having looked at the specs, it’s using PHP Version 5.2.2.

Unfortunately, they said they don’t have any plans to upgrade the Dedicated servers anytime soon.

So does this mean that with a GS installing Magento would not be a problem? I remember trying to install it a few weeks ago, but did not have any luck.

Thanks,

Puleen

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2