Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Problem with urls - A question for magento admin and programmers! 

pecq

Total Posts:  26

i am having live magento store. i am very fine with the job magento is doing for me but the only problem is as follows:

yesterday i was trying to make a google site map with a google sitemap generator tool. then till 14 hours it is still reading the pages i have on my magento store basically i am having only 200 products and 40 categories approx mean not a big site but the problem goes as follows for me:

sitemap generator tool says 180,000 + pages are yet to read and 55k pages are read already

how come this sort of big nubmbers of pages in my store with only 200 products about. i check it in depth and find out that magento commerce is having some sort of session id or what i say url problem for e.g. i am having something like this urls a lot are coming for bot to read:

http://www.xyz.com/catalog/product_compare/remove/product/285/r64/
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hbHNzLWlubm92YXRpb24uY29tL3Jldmlldy9wcm9kdWN0L2xpc3QvaWQvNDAwL2NhdGVnb3J5LzEwMC8

niether these sort of urls are good for my site nor they are good for google indexing.

so for e.g. with this sort of urls i am sure i cannt go for good SERP or indexing status in google.

please help me asap....

regards!
anand

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Total Posts:  669
Auckland, New Zealand

This seems to be a current issue with how magento handles urls. Have a look if the posted workaround in this thread helps:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/6002/

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community