Magento Forum

How much CPU usage does your magento processes take up? 

Dannyz1984

Total Posts:  152

im concerned because im seeing almost every request takes up usually more than 60% of my cpu and those are my dedicated server statistics.  i have hosting with host gator and i was just wondering is this normal? 

a couple of days ago i got slammed by a malicious bot and took my server down.  ever since then i’ve been closely watching the boards monitoring any surge in resources.  just wondering if these are considered cpu spikes and if its fine for a site with around 5000 products?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Dannyz1984

Total Posts:  152

correction: my server computer is quad core, so the percentage of 60% is out of 400%.  100% each core.

so now this puts things into a better perspective....
is this normal?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sonassi

Total Posts:  217
Manchester, UK

Completely normal, why would a process use anything less than all available resources? For a demanding process - you should be questioning why it is not using more than 60% - you would hope for it to take advantage of 100% of that core, not just 60% - so you could be limited by disk IO, memory bottlenecks, kernel optimisations etc.

Bear in mind, PHP isn’t thread safe, so the most it could use is 100% of a core, not 100% of 2 cores (or as you put it 200% of 400%).

I’ve attached the a load average plot from one of our servers running 8 (busy) stores.

Having a dedicated server doesn’t mean anything to be honest - its knowing how to take advantage of it that makes the difference. If you want some professional advice on set up, feel free to get in touch wink

Image Attachments
loadavg-day.png

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community