Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Block on certain pages

gecko001

Total Posts:  3

Please can someone help guide me.
I have created a new theme from the blank extension.

I have re used blocks like callouts and want them to only show on the front page.

I have a callout i only want to show on a certain category page.

I also wish <b>not</b> to show recently viewed on the home page.

Could someone please explian how to get certain blocks to show up on certain pages, I have read the desgners guide, and the theme design book but cant quite grasp how to know what page im looking at and how to tell blocks to show or not.

All help appreciated.

Regards
Gecko

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

CT Schubert

Total Posts:  197
Southern California

Without going into a lot of detail, I think a lot of what you want to accomplish can be done by modifying (commenting out, removing, etc) the layout xml files located in the layout folder?

Magento Community
Magento Community

gecko001

Thanks Shubert, but I really am looking for some more detail on what xml files in need to edit and how to manage my changes.

A tutorial would be great, I must just not quite be understanding something here.

Anyone else?

Gecko

Magento Community
Magento Community

gecko001

For instance i do not want “products viewed” on the home page but i do want them in the catalog view.

What files do i need to edit to achieve this? is it page.xml or catalog.xml or do i do a update in the cms for the page??

whew!! boy am i confused.shock

gecko

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community