Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I get help…

mrceolla

Total Posts:  21

How do I get help around here?

I take it the Varien people are unreachable and/or don’t frequent these forums.

I’ve had a pressing issue I posted a while ago and I haven’t had a single response.  It just seems odd.  Maybe I’m not doing it right.  Or maybe this forum is just low traffic, but w/ 618 users online right now I doubt that.  Any advice on “using” these forums would be appreciated.

Is there a better Magento forum out there somewhere?

One of the posts:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/65653/

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

CT Schubert

Total Posts:  197
Southern California

Well for starters, this forum can kiss my ass, lol. Twice today I’ve written long posts, click submit and it disappears.

I’ll make this short and sweet since I don’t feel like writing it all out again

PM if you want to discuss your site and your issues.

Check your original post for my reply to your problem

Magento Community
Magento Community

cpharlok

Total Posts:  5

I agree with OP. It is getting very hard for me to use Magento as a replacement of another ecommerce systems :( . We need more documentation and support in order to help others and make this a strong system. I can’t help people if first I do not understand the system mechanics due to incomplete documents. Perhaps I am wrong and I can’t find the information on the site, but as an example it is hard for me to do SIMPLE tasks as getting the latests added products on hompage (not NEW ones, only the ones with highest identity_id) or adding a bunch of products from a category to a newsletter. And I do not feel comfortable touching core code, as I do not get the whole programming idea, so it goes to endless hours of researching for very basic modifications. I know Magento is free, so I do not ask for anything, only telling my experience so far with it wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

CT Schubert

Southern California

This is the second time I have written a very long reply, only to hit submit and have all of my f#@#ing text disappear. VERY ANNOYING.

Anyways. My thoughts.....again

I agree the documentation is poor, especially for those not well versed in the Zend Framework and SOAP. But that doesn’t mean you can’t do what you want with this software…

1. If there is a popular and basic modification, then there is likely a large thread dedicated to it with either a solution or enough leads to get you going in the right direction.

2. If there is not a thread with an answer, then there may likely be a module for it. Even if the module is a commercial module at a price of $50-$100 you need to sit back and evaluate the time vs money scenario. If you value your time at $100/hr then instead of spending half a day researching and tinkering with code to get nowhere, bite the bullet and pay $100 and get the job done in 15 minutes.

3. The beautiful thing about Magento is that you can modify the core code all you want without really affecting the core. Just find the file you wish to modify in the core folder and mirror that directory path in the /app/code/local/ folder, copy the file into there and modify that file. Magento is smart and will pick up and use any file in the local folder over the same file in the core folder. The only thing to be aware of is it a core update is made, make sure that file is not one of the updates. If it is, then compare the two and move the new one over and make your changes again....

Magento Community
Magento Community

shmk

Total Posts:  297

I totallty agree that support is null by developers and luckly sometime there’s a user that could give a help…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gyniolatry

Total Posts:  132
Perth.au

"fair suck of the sauce bottle mates...”

As a new Magento user, I read all of the customisation type posts which soon lead me into mangling magento.
Although a great learning experience, many of the changes I had wasted hours on could have been achieved via the Admin panel system config, catalogue management, or cms pages options....

Many posts go unanswered because it is quite obvious the author has not read any documentation or even performed a search on their issue. More often, the problem is due to not understanding CSS and HTML for which there are many more suitable forums available.

however, we can all help by-
searching before we post
clearly outlining our Aim, Issue and Measures tried.
posting a solution when we have found it..

Regards,
G

Magento Community
Magento Community

CT Schubert

Southern California

Could not agree more, Gyniolatry

Magento Community
Magento Community

cpharlok

Total Posts:  5

I agree also, lets hope that the ones that have done intensive searching and know about HTML and CSS get support here.

Regards.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mrceolla

Total Posts:  21

Hi again.

Good points made by all.

CT, I just lost a post too.  If I do a “Fast Reply” and then spend too long typing, when I hit “Submit Post” I’m taken to the regular, full reply page.  And of course I can not click back to get my text.  Guess I’ll just have to remember the good ol’ Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C before hitting the post button.

Gyniolatry, I realize you may not have been referring to me in particular, but let me assure you I have searched google and these forums endlessly for a solution to my current issue referenced above.  Yes, everyone should at least try to search before asking a question.  But just because an answer is out there somewhere doesn’t mean they’ll be able to find it.  So even a helpful link is always appreciated.

Mike

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community