Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

To manage the order of the side blocks

Black Cat
Mentor

Total Posts:  3481
Assemini / Cagliari (Italy)

I was looking through some with a magento when I have had the necessity to bring a block before another. The problem is that in the xml I have not found anything that was useful, as in the template.
Besides as the order of the blocks it can be managed when magento have a “standard” block and personalized blocks?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Black Cat
Mentor

Total Posts:  3481
Assemini / Cagliari (Italy)

thanks!!!

PS: the icon http://www.magentocommerce.com/img/Guru_img.gif for the my rank (this forum) do not exist!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

beau

Total Posts:  50

ohminu - 26 April 2008 05:54 PM

Black Cat-

You can use the ‘before’ and ‘after’ attribute in the block tag to position the blocks.
1. before="-" positions the block before all other blocks
2. after="-" positions the block after all other block
3. before="some_block" positions this block before another block with name="some_block"
4. after="some_block" position this block after another block with name="some_block"

For example <block name="this_block" before="that_block"/>

Where is the list of blocks? I want to put newsletter after callouts, but “callout” doesn’t work.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lemax
Guru

Total Posts:  318
Nantes, France

Did you find the list of block names ?
Thanks
Max

Magento Community
Magento Community

bradsugar

Total Posts:  28

Yeah, I am looking for the list of blocks too…

Magento Community
Magento Community

DevCore

Total Posts:  4

CMS > Manage Pages > Home Page > Custom Design

Magento Community
Magento Community

zuno

Total Posts:  30
Redondo Beach, CA

What if I want to arrange something like the product product.info.simple block?

I wan to add it above the product description. The thing is that is this block is dependent upon product type so it’s called a bit differently in the XML layout file. I tried the before and after attributes and it didn’t seem to work.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

zuno

Total Posts:  30
Redondo Beach, CA

I answered my own question.

This block is controlled in the template file. For anyone interested it’s “$this->getChildHtml(’product_type_data’)”

Magento Community
Magento Community

GlobalAMP

Total Posts:  7

Black Cat-

You can use the ‘before’ and ‘after’ attribute in the block tag to position the blocks.
3. before="some_block" positions this block before another block with name="some_block"
4. after="some_block" position this block after another block with name="some_block"

any reason “1. before="-" positions the block before all other blocks” wouldn’t work?  i can’t seem to get VerNav above the layered nav. :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

tastymouse

Total Posts:  43
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

GlobalAMP - 08 October 2009 09:37 AM

Black Cat-

any reason “1. before="-" positions the block before all other blocks” wouldn’t work?  i can’t seem to get VerNav above the layered nav. :(

For me this doesn’t work either. Can’t put anything above cart_sidebar. Has this changed in 1.4?

Edit: it appears that the cart has a before="-" in checkout.xml

Magento Community
Magento Community

kajal

Total Posts:  60

(1)
copy the <reference name="left"> code from your theme -> layout -> checkout.xml

<reference name="left">
<block type="checkout/cart_sidebar" name="cart_sidebar" template="checkout/cart/sidebar.phtml" before="-">
<action method="addItemRender"><type>simple</type><block>checkout/cart_item_renderer</block><template>checkout/cart/sidebar/default.phtml</template></action>
<action method="addItemRender"><type>grouped</type><block>checkout/cart_item_renderer_grouped</block><template>checkout/cart/sidebar/default.phtml</template></action>
<action method="addItemRender"><type>configurable</type><block>checkout/cart_item_renderer_configurable</block><template>checkout/cart/sidebar/default.phtml</template></action>
<block type="core/text_list" name="cart_sidebar.extra_actions" as="extra_actions"/>
</block>
</reference>

and rename it like
<reference name="header">
<block type="checkout/cart_sidebar" name="cart_sidebar" template="checkout/cart/mini.cart.top.phtml">
</block>
</reference>
place it at above the <reference name="left"> code block

(2)
now copy template -> cart -> checkout -> sidebar.php and save it in the same folder as mini.cart.top.phtml.

Thats it.

For more explanation here is my code for checkout.xml

<default>

<!-- Mage_Checkout -->
<reference name="top.links">
<block type="checkout/links" name="checkout_cart_link">
<action method="addCartLink"></action>
<action method="addCheckoutLink"></action>
</block>
</reference>
<reference name="header">
<block type="checkout/cart_sidebar" name="cart_sidebar" template="checkout/cart/mini.cart.top.phtml">
</block>
</reference>
<reference name="left">
<block type="checkout/cart_sidebar" name="cart_sidebar" template="checkout/cart/sidebar.phtml" before="-">
<action method="addItemRender"><type>simple</type><block>checkout/cart_item_renderer</block><template>checkout/cart/sidebar/default.phtml</template></action>
<action method="addItemRender"><type>grouped</type><block>checkout/cart_item_renderer_grouped</block><template>checkout/cart/sidebar/default.phtml</template></action>
<action method="addItemRender"><type>configurable</type><block>checkout/cart_item_renderer_configurable</block><template>checkout/cart/sidebar/default.phtml</template></action>
<block type="core/text_list" name="cart_sidebar.extra_actions" as="extra_actions"/>
</block>
</reference>
</default>

and my mini.cart.top.phtml is as

<?php $_cartQty = $this->getSummaryCount() ?>
<div class="items">
<div class="fleft">
<span>
<?php if ($_cartQty!=""): ?>
<?php if ($_cartQty==1): ?>
<?php echo $this->__('No of Items: <a href="%s">1 </a>', $this->getUrl('checkout/cart')) ?>
<?php else: ?>
<?php echo $this->__('No of Items: <a href="%s">%s </a>', $this->getUrl('checkout/cart'), $_cartQty) ?>
<?php endif ?>
<?php else :?>
<?php echo $this->__('No of Items: 0');?>
<?php endif;?>
</span></div>
<div class="fright">
<div class="pad-r">Total: <span class="label"><?php echo Mage::helper('checkout')->formatPrice($this->getSubtotal()) ?>
<?php if ($_subtotalInclTax = $this->getSubtotalInclTax()): ?>
<br />(<?php echo Mage::helper('checkout')->formatPrice($_subtotalInclTax) ?> <?php echo Mage::helper('tax')->getIncExcText(true) ?>)
<?php endif; ?></div>
</div>
</div>

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community