Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Introduction to Magento South Africa forum

Andrew Smith

Total Posts:  22
Cape Town, South Africa

This forum was created to complement the South Africa Group. The results of discussion here will be distilled into Wikis and blog posts on that groups page for future reference.

E-commerce is on the brink of really taking off in South Africa, and Magento could not have come at a better time for us. Just about every web developer and designer I speak to is starting to get requests from clients to implement e-commerce, and so they’re busy researching the various platforms out there. If this wave of interest had started a year ago we would all have bedded down with osCommerce or the like, and we would have missed out on the future of Magento, or at least spent a lot of time learning a new system when we finally transitioned!

It is important that as we start getting to grips with Magento we don’t all silently tackle the same issues on our own. The classic example is the development of payment gateway modules, where I have heard this week of two different developers working independently on a module for the same payment gateway. These efforts could be combined to create a more robust and well-tested solution that everyone can benefit from.

It is tempting to cling to hard-earned knowledge or proprietary modules in an attempt to get a competitive advantage over other developers, but I hope we all realise that we will win clients through our relationships rather than our fancy technology. Let’s share what we have and raise the standard of e-commerce in South Africa so that there is more than enough work and online turnover for everyone.

Please feel free to respond to this post with an introduction of where you’re from and what your plans with Magento are.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Swannie

Total Posts:  3

Hi There,

Im glad to see us South Africans are also represented here. I found this after a long and hard search for what I think is the perfect online shop (free of course). I have spent some money on this already and still I am struggeling to find something that a novice to PHP can get to work. From what I have seen in the demo it looks really nice. But (there is always a BUT) I have trouble installing. I searched he forums but cant seem to find a solution to my problem. Baybe you can help. I uploaded the files to a folder called magento but whan I try to run it in my browser I get the following error:

There has been an error processing your request.
Warning: Mage_Core_Block_Template::include(/home/intouchw/public_html/magento/app/design/install/default/default/template/page.phtml) [function.Mage-Core-Block-Template-include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/intouchw/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php on line 131
Trace:
#0 /home/intouchw/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php(131): mageCoreErrorHandler(2, ‘Mage_Core_Block...’, ‘/home/intouchw/...’, 131, Array)
#1 /home/intouchw/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php(131): Mage_Core_Block_Template::fetchView()
#2 /home/intouchw/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php(163): Mage_Core_Block_Template->fetchView(’install/default...’)
#3 /home/intouchw/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php(180): Mage_Core_Block_Template->renderView()
#4 /home/intouchw/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Abstract.php(554): Mage_Core_Block_Template->_toHtml()
#5 /home/intouchw/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php(505): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->toHtml()
#6 /home/intouchw/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(319): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->getOutput()
#7 /home/intouchw/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Install/controllers/WizardController.php(109): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->renderLayout()
#8 /home/intouchw/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(342): Mage_Install_WizardController->beginAction()
#9 /home/intouchw/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php(159): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->dispatch(’begin’)
#10 /home/intouchw/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php(146): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(Object(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Http))
#11 /home/intouchw/public_html/magento/app/Mage.php(427): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch()
#12 /home/intouchw/public_html/magento/index.php(40): Mage::run()
#13 {main}

Can you please assist?

Regards

Swannie

Magento Community
Magento Community

g450

Total Posts:  3

hi

i am new to magento, just recently installed it.

i have 2 issues

1. how is the development of a payment gateway going,
2. is my gate any good. is my understanding that they charge a monthly fee and only R1.50 per payment. the other guys are like 5%.
3. How do we handle SA shipping, do we just use DHL, or can we use Berco as well. how do we go about charging for shipping, is a flat fee worth it.
4. I have done a bit of PHP and vast .net, however if. someone could provide me with the code for one of the other payment providers, i can see prehaps i can modify it to work with mygate. Andrew i will also e-mail them perhaps a bit more motivation is required.

Magento Community
Magento Community

eitai2001
Guru

Total Posts:  330
Johannesburg, South Africa

win_ - 09 December 2008 01:31 AM

G’day guys and girls!

Win here, and I am in Cape Town, South Africa, and loving the weather wink
To answer some of the questions here above

1. If you need help installing magento, PM me or join the Magento South Africa FB group, or connect with me on the forum here, I will help you install it and will even host it for you..
2. On the issue of Payment gateway. I use VCS (Virtual Card Services) extensively. They are very friendly and prompt on customer service. They support all the major South African banks so it doesn’t matter where you have a bank account and the best is - they already have a magento payment gateway module smile
You can find it here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/418/vcs/

Go on and give it a try smile
3. The shipping you ship by wieght - per 100grams for example. I have some rates for the South African Post office if anyone needs these, give me a shout. I worked out these rates with our eCommerce shop www.3am.co.za and it seems to work great for the last couple of years already.
4. If you want to code a payment module hit it, perhaps grab the VCS module and cook that one? Otherwise give me a shout and I’ll see where I can help out,

Guys and girls, looking forward to meeting you all in person and P.I.M.P-ing the heck out of Magento wink

Keep well, and rock on!
Win

Hi.

I don’t suppose you have the post office rates still. I would love a copy smile
And maybe some slight instruction on how you installed them wink

Regards

Itai

Magento Community
Magento Community

zenzoo

Total Posts:  12
Cape Town

Have you come right Itai?

Magento Community
Magento Community

eitai2001
Guru

Total Posts:  330
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hi Yes I have thanks. One of the guys sent me his shipping options.
I will be implementing it shortly.

Is there a way to install the same shipping method twice (particularly auctionmaid_tablerate) as I would also like to create a courier method.

Regards

Itai

Magento Community
Magento Community

Aloefundi

Total Posts:  22
Midvaal, GP

Howzit Guys.

I’m new to magento / websites / generally anything wrt building a site. Read green VERY green.

I’ve slowly getting a site going with the main component being an online shop, I have been advised by my www host www.texo.co.za to use magento. He has duly done the install and all of those wonderfull things. Which is cool as I would not know where to start. I fear that I might be taking advantage of his helpfulness, as I can be real dense sometimes.

I’m having some fun and success and slowly building a personal knowledgebase of what needs to be done. I find the biggest drag is having to work online to get anything done. I’m not looking at changing anything out of default ‘mode’ yet but getting rid of all of the pre-installed trash is also a bugbear.

Does anyone know where i can get a html basics for dunces lesson online. I think it would help with decifiering what I can and cant safely delete.

Thanks

Aloefundi

Magento Community
Magento Community

MrBorsa

Total Posts:  21

Hello every body, greetings from S.Africa smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

teroz

Total Posts:  2

Hey win
i saw an old post of yours on the magento forums about postal shipping rates in South Africa - do you still have this list some where - thank you

Magento Community
Magento Community

lennel

Total Posts:  1

We are looking to hire a Magento expert in South Africa, ideally in the Western Cape. If you are interested, please PM me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hselfe

Total Posts:  7

Hi Win
I would also love to get hold of the postal shipping rates in South Africa - can you assist?
Many thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

hselfe

Total Posts:  7

Hi everyone,

Further to this, I have now implemented two excel spreadsheets that auto-generate RSA shipping rates for local and international shipping. You can add as many countries as you like for the international option, and have a catch-all for those not added. The rates are based on standard Post Office country zones. When the rates change (usually annually) you can pop in the new zone rates, and regenerate your csv for import to Magento.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in this tool.

Thanks…

Magento Community
Magento Community

vampyre

Total Posts:  0

hselfe - 30 March 2011 11:21 PM

Hi Win
I would also love to get hold of the postal shipping rates in South Africa - can you assist?
Many thanks!

same here,

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community