Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Course / Event Module

Christian Duncan

Total Posts:  3

Hi,

I’ve had a look through the site and forum and haven’t yet come across anything relating to this, so pardon me if I’ve missed something (I wish!)

I’ve been spending quite some time looking at o/s options that provision the booking / reservation of courses / events. I was extremely excited to discover Magento a few weeks ago, and this level of functionality would, in my mind, put you into orbit. I’ve had a look as the custom attributes feature, and I’m not sure it can quite handle what I’m talking about…

I believe there are countless tuition-based businesses that would benefit from an o/s solution that offers a well thought out approach to their market.

Here are a few that spring to mind:

Independant Driving Instructors (lost cost / no cost solution for these peeps would boom)
Leadership & Management Development
Life skills / coaching seminars
Seminars of any kind / exhibitions
Group music tuition (crappy keyboard lessons)
Group health & fitness (yoga, pilotes, etc)
Martial Art’s
Art Galleries
Fashion shows
Trade events

The list goes on. I think the key is to keep things really simple, and not to go into a particular area too deep. Here’s an outline of what I think would do the job:

Product landing page - The title, description and a block of html takes care of what type of course / class / event this is.  I don’t think any custom fields for this are needed.

Course date(s). - Unlimited single dates AND OR Recurring date(s) within a specified range.

Course duration, from minutes to days.

Maximum Delegates - Total number of available places, unlimited if 0. Similar to product stock availability.

Course blocks - Facility to make blocks of courses available. The logic here isn’t presenting itself too well in my head at the moment!! Needs a little more thought.

I’ll leave it there to see where the thread goes. Hopefully this is the start of something the o/s community is going to love. I am a web developer based in Manchester, England. And would be happy to be involved in the development of this. I don’t however think the results will be quite as ‘tight’ as they will be if this is a team effort.

WHO’S WITH ME!?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Jan Aalt

Total Posts:  1

I’m with you!

Not sure how involved it would be, but basically allowing to add a date based inventory would allow accommodations, apartments, etc..

The only other I know of doing this is http://www.zac-ware.com/products/freeway/ (formerly OScommres)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Christian Duncan

Thanks for your reply Jan!

I’ve been experimenting with Freeway for the last few weeks and I’m not having too much fun with it to be honest. As it’s based on osCommerce, it suffers from all of the same flaws, and generates table soup from the core, which I hate!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Christian Duncan

BUMP!

For valid reasons written herewith I hasten to add. I cannot believe only two of us have an interest in developing a solution for this area of business. I guess taking baby steps may be the way forward, to which end, and I suppose what I was hoping for after opening the thread, is some constructive thoughts from the Magento team. Come on team, what are your thoughts? Have you anything to add? Do you think I’m missing something? Are you privy to any market research shedding light on this topic that might calm me down a little?

Perhaps I titled the thread wrong, but I guess I have to work with that for the time being as to not come over like some bull-headed Johnny Foreigner.

I look forward to hearing some of your ideas! And to the community, if you’ve read this far and have even a single thought to add, or any questions, please take 2 minutes and leave a reply, it would really be appreciated!

Regards,

Chris

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

We do not have plans in the near future on doing this in the default version of Magento. This might change early next year as we start looking at enhancing Magento functionality even more. With that said, I am sure that if enough people will need this functionality that the community will get this done.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jacson

Total Posts:  4

This topic sounds a little like an Event Calendar where authorized users create events (courses, seminars, whatever).
The physical display of the dates could be variable.
I suppose events would be treated as Products sorted by Category.
Visitor chooses to enroll and provides info.
Enrollment/product is added to cart
Push enrollments into payment processing

Sounds easy enough.
There’s lots of Event Calendars out there now.  I’ve even built one for ZF so its not hard.  smile
I think there is even a tutorial for one on http://framework.Zend.com where you could plug into Magento.

So there’s a few new pages to create and the appropriate data adjustments.
But I bet most of the capability is just waiting to be realized.

Magento Community
Magento Community

codepedaler

Total Posts:  4
Boulder, CO

I also could really really use this.  As anyone tried doing this?  I think this could be accomplished by being able to make a configurable product with user input text fields rather than a dropdown attribute.  So rather than the customer pick a color from a dropdown they might instead enter in their name address and other required fields you would need to know for an event.  These would be stored as attribute selections.  Does that make sense?  Magento team.... does this seem like a good plan?  Or do you think there is an easier way to implement this functionality?  Basically if a configurable product could be configured by user input in the form of a text field, dropdown, textarea you could use your very impressive attribute engine to do all sorts of things.

Thanks for making such a sweet app.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sebastian S

Total Posts:  2

Im with you. Every Event could have a certain number of available tickets. A Date Search/Filter option would be great to. I know that there are lots of people looking for a feature like this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Greens

Total Posts:  6

I would definitely use an integrated event tool.

Magento Community
Magento Community

An7hony

Total Posts:  34

Has there been any development on this idea?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

adeb

Total Posts:  2
Leeuwarden, Netherlands

Great idea guys. This is exactly what I need for a customer, the ability to book a holiday, trip or whatever.
I’m considering building a module for this type of usage.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alistek

Total Posts:  293
Normal, IL

In terms of booking a course or an event or something, there is no reason Magento couldn’t be used as is.  That being said, there would have to be some small wording changes for things to make it more consistent but here is my approach to this.

1) Add the attributes you need for the product for additional details (dates, duration, etc).
2) Use the inventory functionality to determine maximum amount of spots in the class or event.
3) Change the relevant template files that determine stock status to say, this many spots left out of whatever.

There you have it, that would provide everything you needed right there, the only thing lacking is a calender but as stated above that could be added as a module, something I will look into having just done a few modules as I need it also.

-Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

FMEExtensions
Mentor

Total Posts:  1298

We have developed a module called Events Manager.

I think this might be very close to what you are looking for. Really looking forward to feedback on this.

http://www.fmeextensions.com/magento-events-manager.html

regards,

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community