Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
How do I debug shipping errors? 

coeus

Total Posts:  39

For some reason I am unable to get Fedex rates. I have put in my account ID (a 9 digit number I presume) and when I try to get the estimate I get the following:

This shipping method is currently unavailable. If you would like to ship using this shipping method, please contact us.

I know this is just an error set in the admin section, but I’d like to know what the real Fedex error is. Where can I find the fedex error so I now why fedex isn’t responding with the rates?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

joolsr

Total Posts:  99

I cant remember where exactly, but if you set it to debug, the errors will appear in the database somewhere.

Hope someone else can help with the details, but its a start ..

Julian

Magento Community
Magento Community

coeus

Hmm, this didn’t work

Magento Community
Magento Community

JoeNmass

Total Posts:  50

Check your zip code settings. Only put in 5 digits. i.e. 90210 and not 90210-1234

Magento Community
Magento Community

joolsr

yes, i was getting confused. There is a PayPal API debug field in the database, but not one for FedEx.

Magento Community
Magento Community

coeus

JoeNmass - 13 May 2008 02:15 PM

Check your zip code settings. Only put in 5 digits. i.e. 90210 and not 90210-1234

I’m actually based in Canada and am using a postal code (note: Fedex is supposed to work in Canada too)

Magento Community
Magento Community

JoeNmass

Total Posts:  50

Do you have at least one “Allowed methods” set in the FedEx configuration section??

Magento Community
Magento Community

coeus

JoeNmass - 14 May 2008 04:11 PM

Do you have at least one “Allowed methods” set in the FedEx configuration section??

Yes, I have all allowed methods selected. I’ve also made sure that products have a weight on the. Again.. if there was any sort of debug log file that I can look up that would be perfect. It’s extremely hard debugging when I don’t know what the problem could be.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

In file app/code/core/Mage/Usa/Model/Shipping/Fedex.php approx line 409:

// find:
$responseBody curl_exec($ch);

// add:
Mage::log($responseBody);
Admin > Configuration > Developer > Log Settings > Enabled = Yes

Now watch var/log/system.log and var/log/exception.log for raw information received from fedex during your transactions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

coeus

THANK YOU!!!!

Debugging lasted 5 minutes after that! I fixed the problem, though it’s more of a hack. I will report this bug in the “report bug” section.

The error reported by Fedex after I added the snippet from Moshe (which was in system.log, not exceptions.log) said the following

Currency code for Intra CA request must be CAD

This meant that either something was wrong with my configuration or with the currency being sent to Fedex. I checked my configuration and everything was working fine. I then checked what I was sending Fedex by adding the following line to the snippet Moshe gave me

Mage::log($request);

This logs the request. When I looked at my log file I can see it was sending USD as the currency code. That’s odd. So I looked at the same Fedex.php file and wouldn’t you know it.. the following is on line 283

$declaredValue->addChild('CurrencyCode''USD');

YIKES! “USD” is hardcoded in as the CurrencyCode… it should be pulling it from the DB. So I’ve submitted a bug and for now replaced “USD” with “CAD” and all works now! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

joolsr

Hi

I had rates I couldnt quite tally up with rates we would normally get, so I checked the file, as yes it does say USD for the Currency Code ! Interestingly, If change it to my desired one, ie GBP , it does work ! Trying EUR as the code works, and returns very slightly different rates to that given at the dollar rate. I still dont think these differences are of the scale of the differences I was seeing, but even so, you’re right its a bug and needs fixing.

Wonder why it doesn’ like our UK Sterling ....

Magento Community
Magento Community

coeus

joolsr, when you enter “GBP” what error does FedEx return?

Magento Community
Magento Community

joolsr

Sorry, when I added GBP it didnt work. I think my post from earlier missed an ‘nt’ after the does !.

In the end, I found the differences between the rates I got back whether using USD, or EUR were pretty much the same, only a very slight difference probably down to exchange rate fluctuations ...

Magento Community
Magento Community

mdumka

Total Posts:  56

Hey Coues

Thanks for the help ... but I still can’t get it working.

I replaced the the line like you said with CAD ... but still no luck.

was this the directory?

magento\app\code\core\Mage\Usa\Model\Shipping\Carrier

Thanks for the help ... it must have taken you a long time to fix.

Mike

Magento Community
Magento Community

coeus

Hey guys, the best thing to do is to follow Moshe’s advice above to have the error message logged in a system.log. Without knowing what the error is it’ll take forever to debug.

@mdumka: The directory for the fedex file is what Moshe wrote (app/code/core/Mage/Usa/Model/Shipping/Fedex.php) ... Please reread his post on how to debug and reread my post right below his. After I learned how to catch shipping error it took me 5 minutes to fix the bug. So know what the actual error says is very important.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mdumka

Total Posts:  56

Well I will be dammed ... Your fix worked with CAD ... the problem is I was not entering in the postal code. If this is a required field man you cant just spit out the error like that.

Well ... thanks for the help ... I will have to come up with some good error messages.

Dam good work Boys!

Mike

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3