Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento performance

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

Hi,

I have been playing around with different settings in order to optimize the performance of Magento on our servers.  So far I’ve found that enabling zlib compression (php_flag zlib.output_compression on) yields quite an improvement in terms of loading speed.

Is anyone aware of any drawbacks related to having this option enabled? (seeing that it is disabled by default in the bundled .htaccess file).

Any comments will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Sindre

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

The drawback i’m aware of, and why it’s disabled by default, is that the content will not be fed to the browser as it is generated, but only in the end, after the whole page is ready.

This would render stuff like downloader console status update and dataflow progress windows a bit useless.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community