Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Shipping using teir up to a free shipping level - How? 

John

Total Posts:  129
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Hi, before I go and look to code this for my store I want to make sure I am not missing something here.  This what I need to do…

I have a fixed shipping rate to my customers, so do not want or need to have the customer go through the estimation process.  Actually I will remove the box completely.  Now the complications are:

1.  For some products I have a second tier of shipping due to size (not weight) There could be identified via an attribute
2.  I want to give free shipping over a certain sub total in the cart.

Now for 2 I know I am supposed to be able to do it in the shopping rules but the display is not clear due to it being displayed as a ‘discount’ but also as soon as I put one of the more expensive items in the basket the discount is not enough…

I have been able to set-up this tier using weight but I still have the problem of free shipping + I still have to have the customer click the estimate shipping.  downer

So any suggestions?  I am thinking that I will need to write a new shipping module linked to an attribute? 

An additional question is that as soon as I remove the estimate shipping module the shipping does not appear - even if I just use the flat rate shipping method.  Is this right?

Thanks
John

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

John

Total Posts:  129
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Ok - I have successfully created a shipping module to do both 1 and 2 - works just fine with the estimated shipping module.

Now I am trying to tackle the skipping of the estimate shipping and just populate the shipping subtotal automatically.

I can see that an address object is created and this is used to store the Country, postcode, shipping method, etc.  but it is created without defaults that are populated when you select the estimate shipping.  What I want to do is populate the shipping subtotal with the origin location shipping cost so that estimate shipping will still work for other countries.

What I would like to know is:  How is the address object created and how do I set defaults?

Thanks
John

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community