Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 4
Images not showing up after import

mercnboy3

Total Posts:  10

I placed all images in the directory /media/products/i/ then imported successfully, but the images are not showing up, and the products are not showing up in the search either.  I have to open and save them for them to show up, what gives?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

check the import CSV/XML file ...you need to import them with “store” set to “default”

Magento Community
Magento Community

mercnboy3

thanks, store says admin, attribute_set says Default.

Basically I exported what we had, then added the rest of the products in the same format then uploaded.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mercnboy3

ok, reuploaded w/ default as store, products are showing up but the images still aren’t

does it have anything to do with the directory naming structure?  I notice magento puts the images in two subdirectories using 1st 2 letters.  I have just placed mine in a /i directory ( my csv field is /i/image.jpg ).  Will that keep it from working?

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

Total Posts:  325
San Francisco

This is an ongoing problem for many of us. I fianlly got imported products to at least show on the front end without having to add them manually after importing them. But I stll get no images.  I tried adding 3 products, duplicating 3 that existed already, just changed teh sku, the model number etc, and lefft the path to images the same.  Imported fine, showed up on front end where they should be but no images. 

http://www.epicurecookware.com/catalog/category/view/s/romertopf-clay-bakers/id/14/
there you see the 3 imported ones, properties on the image shows the path to cache and placeholder.jpg.  I have no idea.

I also read from somebody that if you put them in a /images folder it works.  Well given that the csv has the path as you say of the first two letters of the image name, that means this much seems to be assumed about the path

/var/www/domains/epicurecookware/htdocs/media/catalog/product

because /1/B etc etc are all subfolders of that path shown above.

So I decided to create a new subfolder there and called it prodimages and put the images in there and changed the csv to say /prodimages/nnnn.jpg but still no go.  Beats me.  If this is working for somebody, I SURE would appreciate knowing how to do it.  It is really hodling up the works here.
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

Halleluia and pass the biscuits!  I finally found the post I needed that solved this images problem.  There is so much written about it you have to weed thru it. When I wrote the above post, that url had no images for the claybakers starting with model number 2, 209, 211 etc NOW they do.  Its so easy!  I had no idea but you are supposed ot put all images for proudcts tht you import via csv in one folder , this one. 

/var/www/domains/epicurecookware/htdocs/media/import

then in the spreadsheet put only the image name witha slash in front of it, in all 3 places

image small_image thumbnail
/109claybaker_01092_1500_1.jpg /109claybaker_01092_1500_1.jpg /109claybaker_01092_1500_1.jpg

I personally used the same image for all 3 things and find magento resizes them finem and I suspect it put that _1 after each one too.  These were simply duplicates of the 109, 111 etc so I think i still have a few things to learn yet, but the biggest key factor was making sure they are all put in /media/import.  This is the first I have been able to import, and have the products go to the proper frontend category AND display the image.  Now I will experiment from scratch with my own images created in PS and not ever imported into the product section in manage proudts like these were.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mercnboy3

thanks for posting the fix, our designer will be really happy since he spent all weekend uploading 200+ product images!  We could have gotten it done in a few seconds.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

Yes and thanks to the others who posted where I learned this. Thers a lot of stuff about ti, and not sure it works for xml and what not, but does seems fine for csv. 

Something else I learned since is that I put the __1 etc , LOL, thats the weight of the products, a quick ref for me to find out when needed.  But I alos found out that one image 275x275 can be used for all 3 images.  But I have disabled the magnifier and “other views”, so that may be diifferent for others, who want to use those.  I just put my own logo beneath it, how many views would you wnt of a saucepan. LOL You can see what I mean here.

Click Me

so the thumb on products page, and tiny image in cart are all derived from the one image that is I think 275x275 or might be 265x265 I did find out if I make it too small then my Logo beneath does not show up on the main page, it just leaves a blank space there.. 

So in summary, just put all the images in /medai/import and in the spreadsheet make sure to put the slash in front of imagename.jpg
/imagename.jpg Worked for me anyway.

Livin’ and Learnin’ !! grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

roco

Total Posts:  191

Hey!  Thanks you for this post.  This information is critical and appears to be buried, but it worked like a charm for me.  I have a couple of follow on questions:

1.  How do I import another picture (to be displayed in the thumbnails under the main picture (default Mage functionality)?  It appears that there is not an attribute product heading for that.

2.  Do all the images “live” in a single import folder now?  or have they been moved to the default “ /b/i” section of the media catalog?

3.  Do all the images have to live in one folder or can they be categorized into different folders?

4.  What is the procedure for replacing a set of images? - How would I get new images in and get rid of the old ones?

Any help you could be would be appreciated. smile

roco

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

1.  How do I import another picture (to be displayed in the thumbnails under the main picture (default Mage functionality)?  It appears that there is not an attribute product heading for that.

If I understand you, on the products page when you are creating, there is a tab on the left called Images. There you can browse to your pc and upload 1,2, or 3 images. Then upload them. To the righ of each one is a row of tickboxes , little circles called
Base Image Small Image Thumbnail
you just tick the approprate circle for each one

2.  Do all the images “live” in a single import folder now?  or have they been moved to the default “ /b/i” section of the media catalog?
Images assigned via the method in answer one go in a special sequence of folders having to do with the first initaila of the image name.
Images you import via csv ALL must go in /media/import
So you oreally end up with images in several places, depending on how you create or import the product

3.  Do all the images have to live in one folder or can they be categorized into different folders?

See above

4.  What is the procedure for replacing a set of images? - How would I get new images in and get rid of the old ones?

Go to product “Image” Tick the Remove Box, then Click “Save and Continue Editing” This will remove the existing image and allow you to upload new ones

Magento Community
Magento Community

roco

Total Posts:  191

Thanks Anna - What I still don’t quite get is how to deal with large catalogs(20k).  I should have been more clear that all my questions have to do with manipulating in bulk.  Any Ideas?

If I understand you, on the products page when you are creating, there is a tab on the left called Images. There you can browse to your pc and upload 1,2, or 3 images. Then upload them. To the righ of each one is a row of tickboxes , little circles called
Base Image Small Image Thumbnail
you just tick the approprate circle for each one

How do I add the 2nd and 3rd images in bulk?  It would be very tidious to go through and try and add these item by item

]Images assigned via the method in answer one go in a special sequence of folders having to do with the first initaila of the image name.
Images you import via csv ALL must go in /media/import
So you oreally end up with images in several places, depending on how you create or import the product

Ok......Hard to keep your images straight (I have 20,000 products - but I can try and work with it

Go to product “Image” Tick the Remove Box, then Click “Save and Continue Editing” This will remove the existing image and allow you to upload new ones

And how about doing this in bulk?  Can I just find the folder and delete its contents or with this cause chaos?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

Total Posts:  308

srinigenie - 25 April 2008 08:24 AM

check the import CSV/XML file ...you need to import them with “store” set to “default”

So my “store” field needs to say what?? It did say “admin” which meant that the products didnt appear unless saved individually. Now i set it to “default” and it has an error for every item when trying to import them. So do I need to name it the exact name of my store?!?

Store name? Store view name?

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

I haven’t read thru all thisi, but ifyou have not done so, EXPORT first, BUT make sure your store view is chosen, not the defult view at top of dropdownlist. Once you export to csv, local server, you can see what the format is nad use the same thing, use the same file in fact, open it in a spreadsheet, rename it to Import and delelte all but one product from each category ID, and add products that way.  Make sure all images are uploade to /media/import and on the spreadhseet, give no path to the image, BUT do put a slash in front of it

/pic1.jpg
/pict2.jpg

etc.  This is what worked for me, all was fine, no enabling of the pics was needed, all showed on the front end.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gypsydogg

Total Posts:  22

OK, I was able to import import the images and products, but now the ONLY thing left is the “more views” thumbnails are not appearing which is necessary for larger views.  Please advise.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ImSoExcited

Total Posts:  16

Thank you so much Anna!  This information worked great.  I kept putting them into images/media/import because they’re...well...images! Lol.  Also exporting the data from my specific store and not the “default(admin)” store helped me finally get the items to import into my store properly.  Now I just need to change the compression settings as the thumbnails are HORRIBLY pixelated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gypsydogg

Total Posts:  22

ImSoExcited,
Were you able to get the “More Views” to show up?  I did everything Anna said yet I still can’t get the damn “More Views” to show

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 4