Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Configurable Products? 

TomC

Total Posts:  191

Isn’t the new “Bundled Products” feature in the next Magento release supposed to deal with this issue?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jimmypalmer

Total Posts:  79

I don’t think so.  It my brief research and minimal trial of the Bundled Products they are just simply to “bundled” simple products together in a sale. Like selling a package of 12 simple products.

I just gave 1.1 a test drive and the import failed for configurable products.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lemax
Guru

Total Posts:  318
Nantes, France

The Magento support just wrote me that’s not possible to import configurable products.
“this time the DataFlow module does not support the importing of configurable products.”
“This functionality will be added as part of future releases.”

Max

Magento Community
Magento Community

seudo
Guru

Total Posts:  344

I haven’t tried the latest Beta 1.1 version but according to this blog post, status.txt configurable product import should be fixed.

See status.txt #4703

Has anyone tried it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

dax

Total Posts:  32

Been battling with this for a few days now, and thanks to the posts in this thread have finally found a way of importing configurable products successfully! Heres a summary of the steps taken:
1. Create option attributes (Global, Dropdown, Use for Configurable...)
2. Import configurable product and corresponding simple products per standard instructions, i.e.:
- Create Configurable Product with visibility ‘Catalog, Search’
- Create Simple Products with visibility ‘Nowhere’

Now for some SQL work…
3. Identify the product_id values for each of the Configurable products (use the Magento Admin for this) (eg 10, 20, )
4. Identify the attribute_id for the options attributes created in (1) - see table eav_attribute (eg 101, 102)
5. Link the Configurable products and their super-attributes using SQL as follows:

INSERT INTO `catalog_product_super_attribute` (`product_id`, `attribute_id`, `position`)

VALUES (10101,0), (10,102,0), (20,1010), ...
(note - you do not need to specify a super-attribute id, as this is provided by autonumbering)

6. Link the Simple products to their Configurable “parent” as follows - this method assumes that there is a link between the SKUs of the products. In My case, the Simple products all use the Configurable SKU as a root (eg Config: AAA001 (id=10), Simples AAA001-A, AAA001-B, ...):

INSERT INTO `catalog_product_super_link` (`product_id`, `parent_id`)
       (    
SELECT `entity_id` , 10 FROM `catalog_product_entity

WHERE `skuLIKE "AAA001-%"  );

I have also found a similar (and simpler) solution for activating multiple images after upload:
First: upload the images according to the now tried and tested methods mentioned in the thread
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/6220/

In my experience, the images are all present in the admin tool, but not visible in the store, and difficult to make them so… but I have found that executing the following two SQL statements seems to fix that.

UPDATE `catalog_product_entity_media_gallery_valueSET `disabled` = 0 WHERE 1;
UPDATE `catalog_product_entity_media_gallery_valueSET `disabled` = 
    WHERE 
`value_idIN 

SELECT `value_idFROM `catalog_product_entity_media_gallery

WHERE `valueLIKE "%_th%.jpg" OR `valueLIKE "%_sm%.jpg" );

Again, the exact SQL will depend on your naming conventions: I am using JPGs with the suffixes “_sm” for small and “_th” for thumbnails. The second SQL statement is disabling these to avoid them appearing in the media gallery also. 
Note the wildcards (%) between the suffixes and “.jpg” - this is to allow for the case where you have already run the upload in the past, and Magento adds a sequence number to make the name unique.  If you are doing a full catalogue upload, you may prefer to remove all images from the /media/catalog/product directories before running your upload.

Hope this helps…
David

Magento Community
Magento Community

jwpadgett

Total Posts:  69

I’ve managed to create configurable products by using the script a kind poster provided earlier on this thread to do the SQL work - big time saver. Unfortunately, I’m running into new issues where some new products I’ve created seem to be stuck as “Out of Stock”. Both the simple and configurable products show otherwise in the admin tool. Running out of patience with DATAFLOW.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dax

Total Posts:  32

jwpadgett - “glad” to hear I’m not the only one experiencing the “Out of Stock” issues on upload - indeed I have seen several of the field values changing (especially relating to Inventory) when using the upload feature. 

Although I only started noticing this since upgrading to v1.1.2, the issue may have been there before.  I am wondering if it may also be related to the “Number of records"parameter in the import profile: I upped this to 5, which gives significantly better performance - but may be causing other problems?

My best workaround for now is to use the bulk changes feature in the Manage Products admin pages :
1 - connect to the admin interfacem and navigate to the Catalog… Manage Products page
2 - (optional) set a search filter to show just the ‘problem’ products - unfortunately “out of stock” is not a search option, but there may be other criteria you can use
3 - Set the tick boxes on the products that need changing - or “Select All” from the top left of the page
4 - In the Actions listbox (top right), select “Change Attributes”, and click on the Submit button
5 - Go to the Inventory tab of product options, and correct the value(s) that need fixing
6 - Click Save to commit the changes - et voilà!

... but if anyone in the Magento Team knows why these upload errors are occuring in the first place, there are a few of us who’d love to see it corrected!

Magento Community
Magento Community

jwpadgett

Total Posts:  69

Yeah, that’s the first thing I tried when I noticed the error. No luck. As I mentioned, If you go to a single simple or configurable product, they each have a quanity value and are set to “in stock”.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lemax
Guru

Total Posts:  318
Nantes, France

This problem was also in the 1.0.19870.4 version.
Max

Magento Community
Magento Community

Michael Ben-Nes

Total Posts:  15
Rosh Pina, Israel

lemax - 13 August 2008 11:26 PM

This problem was also in the 1.0.19870.4 version.
Max

And 1.1.3
Its lost its attributes
Its not linked
and its out of stock

Magento Community
Magento Community

jimmypalmer

Total Posts:  79

Any news on this?  I just attempted to import configurable products with no success.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Samith_nzl

New Zealand

Also keen to find out if someone has got any info on this ... ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

webbuddy

Total Posts:  41
Australia

Do yourself a favour and export out the sample data to an xml file and specify to export all fields.  This is a good way to see what fields are used for existing working products.

Two fields that you will notice, are

is_in_stock
qty

I suggest you enter values for both, ie the number/qty you have in stock, and also a value of 1 for is in stock.

I use xml files to upload my simple/configurable product combos and have not had problems with “Out of Stock” as I have specified both those values.  I cant say for sure its the cure but it sure looks like it, if you are not specifying those values.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Samith_nzl

New Zealand

Hey webbuddy,

I have done an export to csv of 5 products I had in my catalog, 1 being a configurable product made form 2 simple products. The other two just standard simple products.
All worked fine in front and backed ( in stock, can add to cart etc ).

I then ran an export all products, ( to csv ), I then deleted all 5 products and ran the “import all products”. It imported all my 5 products however my configurable product was not associated to my 2 simple products. I looked in the csv file and I don’t see how it links my configurable product to my simple products.....

Any thoughts or help ?

Cheers,
Samith_nzl

Magento Community
Magento Community

webbuddy

Total Posts:  41
Australia

Samith_nzl - 01 September 2008 12:47 PM

Hey webbuddy,

I have done an export to csv of 5 products I had in my catalog, 1 being a configurable product made form 2 simple products. The other two just standard simple products.
All worked fine in front and backed ( in stock, can add to cart etc ).

I then ran an export all products, ( to csv ), I then deleted all 5 products and ran the “import all products”. It imported all my 5 products however my configurable product was not associated to my 2 simple products. I looked in the csv file and I don’t see how it links my configurable product to my simple products.....

Any thoughts or help ?

Cheers,
Samith_nzl

After you have imported your Configurable/Simple Products. you need to go into Admin>Catalog>Products and edit your Configurable Products at the “Associated Products” Tab (right at the bottom) and select the simple products associated with your configurable one.  All of this is covered in one o the video tutorials as well.  I dont know that there is an easier way to associate the two in a csv or XML.  I have done all my associating manually as above.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community