Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 17
Configurable Products? 

jwpadgett

Total Posts:  69

Hi, all

After loading a configurable product sheet, you will need to manually enter attribute id’s into the “catalog_product_super_attribute” table in the magento database for each configurable product. I used phpMySQL to make the entries. My products had two configurable attributes, so, each product had two entries.  Doing this will get you past the hanging attributes screen in the admin tool.

Likewise, to tie simple products to a super product, you can enter the links into the “catalog_product_super_link” table, or do it normally using admin tool (once the attribute entries have been made as described above).

I agree with the statements above that the Dataflow team have dropped the ball on this one. This feature does not seem finished at all.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

gabrielk

Total Posts:  83

jwpadgett - 30 May 2008 04:17 AM

Hi, all

After loading a configurable product sheet, you will need to manually enter attribute id’s into the “catalog_product_super_attribute” table in the magento database for each configurable product. I used phpMySQL to make the entries. My products had two configurable attributes, so, each product had two entries.  Doing this will get you past the hanging attributes screen in the admin tool.

Likewise, to tie simple products to a super product, you can enter the links into the “catalog_product_super_link” table, or do it normally using admin tool (once the attribute entries have been made as described above).

I agree with the statements above that the Dataflow team have dropped the ball on this one. This feature does not seem finished at all.

I realize my previous post a while back wasn’t very clear, but I posted a script that I use for doing exactly that: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewreply/28623/ (post #47 in the thread).

Magento Community
Magento Community

flowstack

Total Posts:  159
London, United Kingdom

I’m having the same problem as you guys.

Configurable products import ok, but when you try and edit them the ‘Select configurable attribute’ sceen appears.

Has this been raised as a bug?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Greven

Total Posts:  36
Florence, AL

Version 1.1 is coming out soon, so if it is not fixed by then..... we all can raise hell.

Magento Community
Magento Community

multipasko

Total Posts:  24

it’s a shame… Magento ver. 1.0.19870.2 ... still the same problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Reborn Project

Total Posts:  132

The problem (import configurable product) will be resolved with Magento 1.1 ? or not ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

bzsaw

Total Posts:  141

I’ve attempted to do what “jwpadgett” has suggested but I can’t figure out exactly what to enter.

Has anyone else had success in regards to those suggestions. I can see how it would work but don’t have enough knowledge to add them in.

Thanks for any help.

Best,

Magento Community
Magento Community

bzsaw

Total Posts:  141

Okay I figured the method mentioned above for manually updating the DB (I’m using a MySql DB)

1. Export Table and Data “catalog_product_super_attribute”
2. Open as a text file.
3. Start adding your lines so that your configurable product.

Top of the sql file should look like this:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
INSERT INTO `catalog_product_super_attribute` (`product_super_attribute_id`, `product_id`, `attribute_id`, `position`) VALUES (1, 159, 582, 0),
(2, 159, 583, 0),
(3, 185, 582, 0),
(4, 185, 583, 0); <---- 4 is just the number in table sequence

185 is for the product ID
582 is the custom attribute number
583 is the second custom attribute number since this product has two custom attributes.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

4. Make sure your last item in the list ends with a semicolon like this (4, 185, 583, 0);
5. Once you create your new list, import only the new information into the DB table
6. Once 4 is complete you can go back to your Magento store admin go to your product and it will no longer hang on the first screen. You’ll be able to add more info to the configurable product along with creating all of your associated simplified products.

Hope that helps someone.

Best,

Magento Community
Magento Community

webbuddy

Total Posts:  41
Australia

For those unsure of how to insert values into the database using phpmyadmin, here’s what I did.  Just be sure to back up your database first as a standard procedure.

Attached is a .png image file showing what and where to do ... in phpmyadmin

Magento Community
Magento Community

webbuddy

Total Posts:  41
Australia

I have created 13 unique products (furniture) x 10 to represent the 10 different stains that the furniture comes in. All of these are set to

store | attribute_set | type | visibility
default | Furniture | Simple | nowhere

So I have 130 simple products.  I then created a further 13 products to be the Configurable Product that I can associate the groups of 10 simple products to each one.

The configurable products are set to

store | attribute_set | type | visibility
default | Furniture | Configurable | Category, Search

The configurable products all display correctly on front end and I have a drop down list for each one, everything works fine.

My problem is that during my protracted attempts to get this sorted I originally intended to use one of the original 13 sets as the configurable and in the xml upload file I had the first set of 13 set as Configurable.

After uploading I had a change of plan and through the back end updated the attributes for that set to simple and went on to create the final set of configurable products.

My problem is that when I go through the front end and expect to only see the 13 configurable products, as they are the only ones set to Category, Search, I also see the first 13 I was going to use.  I have checked every aspect of these products in the admin and compared it to the other simple products which are correctly not visible and cannot find any discrepancy between the two.

I figure that the database has some hidden reference not apparent through the product admin.

Given the painfully slow process of uploading products coupled with the tedious nature of creating configurable products, I am reluctant to go through all this again.

Any ideas where I should check to see why this is happening?

Footnote: I am working on my localhost using xampp and a combination of MS Excel and phpmyadmin to handle the bulky stuff, which is all good, but I cannot believe that in spite of it all being local a simple update of only 13 products takes so long, not to mention nearly an hour for uploading 130 products.  By the time it finishes uploading/updating I have forgotten what I was doing :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

multipasko

Total Posts:  24

I’ve just updated the Magento to ver. 1.0.19870.4 ... still the same problem :/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sprout Collective

Total Posts:  64
Portland, OR / Orange County, CA

As you can see from some of the examples in this thread Configurable / Simple product combinations need additional entries in the DB. You could do that by hand but for a few products but dealing with a large catalog would be difficult and prone to human error.

We have customized the code to allow importing of Configurable products and changed the import sheet to have two additional columns. One column specifies the Attributes that relates the Simple and Configurable products and the second is a delimitated list of SKUs that relate to the Configurable product.

Currently this is hacked into the core code so any updates mean we have to merge our changes back in but one of these days we will try to make a module or hopefully Magento will support this feature out of the box. We have also sent our code to Varien to see if this might help them speed it along.

- TIM

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tensor

Total Posts:  7

Sprout, any chance the rest of us could get a look at your changes? I hate having to wait around for the Magento team to fix things, but I haven’t found it easy to figure out the core code. It seems like it should be fairly simple to at least add the necessary entries into the catalog_product_super_attribute table, but I’m not even sure which files are involved in the import process.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lemax
Guru

Total Posts:  318
Nantes, France

Sprout Collective - 20 June 2008 06:19 AM

As you can see from some of the examples in this thread Configurable / Simple product combinations need additional entries in the DB. You could do that by hand but for a few products but dealing with a large catalog would be difficult and prone to human error.

We have customized the code to allow importing of Configurable products and changed the import sheet to have two additional columns. One column specifies the Attributes that relates the Simple and Configurable products and the second is a delimitated list of SKUs that relate to the Configurable product.

Currently this is hacked into the core code so any updates mean we have to merge our changes back in but one of these days we will try to make a module or hopefully Magento will support this feature out of the box. We have also sent our code to Varien to see if this might help them speed it along.

- TIM

Sprout,
Are you ready to share this code ?
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

jimmypalmer

Total Posts:  79

any updates on this? 

I am wrestling with the same issues - uploading configurable products.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 17